Vol 3 SS: Horikita Manabu 1

Year 1

Season 1

Volume 3 - "One Must Deceive Himself"

SS: Horikita Manabu 1

Horikita Manabu POV

Akane sets a cup of tea on the desk for me as I busily scribble through more important stuff.

The door to the Student Council opens, and in walks a pair of footsteps. I don't look up to see who it is because I have a feeling I know them.

"What do you want?"

"Mou!" She pouts. "You could be a little nicer to your childhood friend, Ma-kun."

My spine quivers without any obvious reason. Why does it suddenly feel cold?

I glance up to Akane, who is glaring at the newcomer.

These situations make me feel anxious since it feels like Akane wants to rip her throat out.

A sigh escapes me. "Seriously. What is it?"

"Weeeeeell~... I was wondering about certain rumors floating around." The nuisance combs her auburn hair out of her face using her hand, making sure to run her hands over the sunflower hairclip I gave her for her birthday last year to make Akane more jealous.

Are you trying to get me killed?

"What kind of rumors?"

"As you may know, I am the most popular student among the 2nd years, so my influence extends far beyond just my peers. I do happen to have some friends in the 1st years, as well."

"Oh?" Akane chimes in. "Do tell."

Sounds like she doesn't believe the claim. You'd be surprised, my Secretary. 

"I happen to be good friends with Ichinose Honami-chan and Kamuro Masumi-chan. Unfortunately, I know very little about most of the students in the other classes aside from Koenji-kun, Sakayanagi, Ryuuen-kun, and Hiyori-chan. But recently, there have been whispers that someone in Class 1-B is the famous X."

My interest has piqued, so I put down my paperwork, quirking an eyebrow. "Oh? Tell me... Just what exactly do you know?"

"Wait, what? You seriously haven't heard?!" She grips her stomach in a hug as she bursts out laughing.

Akane's eyes darken. Uh oh. 

"Asahina Nazuna, show some respect to the Student Council President! He could expel you if he wants!"

I raise my hand to quiet her down and clasp it with my other one, resting my chin on them. "I was bluffing to see if you would explain or if you were trying to just bait me for information, but... It seems you're referring to the most recent and interesting turn in events, right?"

Asahina nods. "Indeed. Class 1-B won their special test, more specifically the Island Exam. Now, they hold enough class points to become Class A by September should they prevent Ichinose's class from retaking the lead in the Cruise Ship test which, if they do, would make them the first class in the bottom two ranks to rise to the top in their first year in this school's history. 

And as if things couldn't get more interesting, 1-D has gained 150 points after being near 0 since, what? May?

This only makes me more suspicious of those two classes."

"How so?"

"Oh, you know, just certain news reports regarding a mysterious superhuman that gained tremendous abilities, escaped Satan's pedophile dungeon, now attends this school, and goes by the alias assigned to them: X.

I believe X is among either Class B or D."

A smirk tries to make its way onto my face, but I fight it off. "So... Who do you think X is?"

Asahina smirks. "The most interesting students are Amasawa-chan and Hirata-kun for Class D. 

Class B, on the other hand, feels more mysterious and therefore more likely to have this X person. X is likely someone who wants to win but is doing it from the shadows, someone like Ryuuen or your little sister, maybe even Kiryuuin. Although, now that I think about it, Kiryuuin is less likely than those two, but she could be using reverse reverse psychology by using her popularity to elevate her less known classmates, so it could be her at the same time."

"Is that so?"

"Yep! Hm..." Asahina frowns with a thoughtful head tilt. "But I feel like I'm missing someone... Don't the 1st year girls always gossip about that one boy? You know, the one who's 2nd place on their list of hottest guys? Do you know, Ma-kun?"

"Who knows." I resume my work, having lost interest in her childish gossip.

"Oh, so you DO know! Tell me! Tell me!"

"No. Even if I did, why would I tell you? What could you offer me other than your body... which I have no use for?" I add at the end as I sense my girlfriend's murder gaze. 

"You're no fun..."

"Asahina, X is someone that may or may not want their identity discovered just yet. Respect their boundaries."

"You could at least call me Nazuna! Now say it with me. Na-Zu-Na!"

Akane growls, "Grr! Alright! Enough of you. Leave already!" She begins pushing Asahina out, who is blabbering excuses to stay, and slams the door shut with a sigh. "Jeez. What an annoying kouhai, right Manabu?"

I deadpan, "Please stop looking like you're plotting to murder her while making her death seem like an accident."

Yawning, I stand up and walk past the door to stretch my legs, but as I do, I hear my childhood friend on the other side of the wall say, "Class B, huh. I'll be sure to keep an eye on you when you get back from vacation REAL soon."

Be careful, Ayanokouji.

To Be Continued

In the previous chapter, I forgot to add that Kiyotaka doesn't explain Ibuki's role in the exam results, so I'll explain it. She's the 2nd most athletic student in his class behind only Fuuka, so because she is fast, Ibuki was helping him spy on Class D without a radio so she can go and deliver messages to him as fast and quietly as possible, mainly the situation involving their keycard and Mii-chan and Yajima's status.