Vol 3 Ch 15.1: Code

Year 1

Season 1

Volume 3 - "One Must Deceive Himself"

Chapter 15 Part 1 of 2: Code

.

.

.

Day 5 

"Suzune, I could use your opinion on something," Kiyotaka was collecting food alongside her, setting down a batch of fruit at camp.

"What about?"

"It's about the key players for all the classes in this exam. What do you think all of their weaknesses are?"

"Hm... Well, I think Class A is actually the least threatening opponent, as surprising as that is. From your description of their camp, they may have grown complacent, which could make this exam our big chance to get promoted. That's mainly Koenji's fault."

"I agree."

"Class C's Katsuragi doesn't seem like a good leader. He's too distrustful of others, even thinking of his own classmates as potential traitors. As much as I hate to say it, good leaders are the ones who have to be the coldest, making the toughest decisions, and maybe even expelling their classmates who contribute the least. While he has potential, I don't think Katsuragi has realized this yet, so he shouldn't be a problem.

Then there's Class D. With Amasawa-san being from you-know-where, it will be hard to outsmart her without your help. Quite frankly, I don't think Class D's leader has any obvious weaknesses other than her classmates that hold her back."

"Yeah."

"..."

"... Suzune, do you speak any other languages?"

"Huh? I'm only fluent in Japanese and English, and my English isn't even as good as Mii-chan's. It's quite rough around the edges. I'm also a beginner learner of French. Why?"

"I do not know much about the other generations, but a long time ago, I was able to find out certain things about the 5th Generation, mainly how many languages they were taught, at least a dozen of them."

"How many can you speak?"

"I can speak Japanese, English, French, Quebecois/Canadian French, German, Russian, Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Italian, Greek, Hungarian, Polish, Ukrainian, Czech, Chinese, Arabic, Korean, Indonesian, Urdu, Hindi, Punjabi, Bengali, Farsi-"

"How many, Kiyotaka? I want a number, not you showing off." Her impatience grew thin as she softly glares at him.

"Hm... I think 200."

"Oh my," Fuuka pokes her head out of her tent, laying on her frontside. "I can only speak Japanese, English, French, Dutch, Filipino, and Italian."

Suzune holds her hand to her chest. "Jeez, can you not sneak up on me like that?!"

"Mama mia! Could it-a-be that-a-me scared-a-you, Scaredy Cat-girl?!"

"Fuuka..."

"I'm kidding, Suzu-girl. Anyway, why are you asking all this, Kiyo-boy?"

"You'll see soon enough," He responds in French, wishing to test her skills. "And thanks for the lap pillow two nights ago."

"No problem! Let me know when you want one again, and I'd happily give it to you~"