Vol 4 Ch 19.3: Goat 3

Year 1

Season 1

Volume 4 - "To Deceive The World"

Chapter 19: Goat Part 3 of 3 - Bitter Taste of Defeat

.

.

.

Miyake Akito POV

As far as I know, most, if not all of us participating in the exam quickly came up with a strategy, something every class in each group adapted once we noticed members of other groups doing it.

It all started on Day 2 when two people from the same class and group would meet together around 6:15 or 6:30 AM by pure accident, saying how they couldn't sleep. 

"Hi. How's your morning? Couldn't sleep anymore? Too worried about the exam? Same here. Now let's talk about the possible VIP's."

That sort of thing. Then, they would find somewhere quiet to talk, using the limited time they have as meaningfully as possible before other students begin crowding the halls and intruding on their privacy.

Unfortunately, I am one of those people, bags under my eyes, probably looking like a zombie.

I quietly exit my room and make my way aimlessly down the corridor. My bloodshot eyes sting with dryness as I yawn and blink away my fatigue.

Chills run down my back when I sense a presence behind me, and before I can turn around to see who it is, a hand clamps down onto my shoulder, startling me.

"AHHH! RAAAAAAAPE!" I scream and jump back, striking a fighting pose, only to realize the hand belongs to someone who is the least likely to become a rapist.

Hirata grins sheepishly. "A-Are you okay, Miyake-kun? I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. Also, I'm not that kind of person."

I scratch my head and chuckle nervously. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just couldn't sleep anymore and decided to take a walk."

"I see. Would you care to join me? I was going to make myself some tea in one of the lounges and relax there."

That's right. Right outside the entryway to each hall is a boiler alongside free teabags and disposable cups. There's even a coffee maker, but who drinks that disgusting garbage?

I shrug and follow him with a yawn, stretching my arms above my head. "Sure."

Soon, Hirata grabs himself some tea and takes a seat across from me.

"You want some?" He offers.

I shake my head. "No, I'll survive. Caffeine is bad for the heart anyway. I rarely drink it, and unless I absolutely have to, then I might."

Hirata arches an eyebrow. "You don't seem like the type that is extremely self-cautious about their health."

"I guess you could say I usually am. That doesn't mean that I won't indulge myself in the likes of junk food, which I do on rare occasions."

He begins blowing lightly on the liquid before taking slow, light sips. We sit in comfortable silence for a while.

"You know,  Miyake-kun, there's something I've been wondering."