Chapter 40: Heal

N POV

The man stood up from his seat, a wrinkle of uncertainty in between his brows.

He slowly stuck out his hand, " Yes that would be me. Naruto I presume?"

I nodded my head eagerly " Yep thanks for agreeing to meet up with me" I connected my hand with his and shook it.

" I ordered us some tea I hope that's okay with you" he said motioning his hands towards the tea set up on the table.

" Yeah that's alright."

We both took our seats. Now that I was closer to him, i could see his face better. He was like a fantasy character. Very straight nose, long lashes, that porcelain pale skin like Hinata's and long slender fingers.

It was like I was having lunch with an elf.

Those Hyuga genes were interesting.

Neji began pouring himself a cup of tea, " You know I was quite shocked, when Lee told me he saw Hinata."

He sat the kettle down on the table and began stirring his tea. " I thought it had to be some sort of mistake. I mean Hinata after all these years? I tried to convince myself that there was just another girl with the same name and similar features that he had to have run into."

Neji looked at his cup of tea, "But talking with you on the phone and hearing what you had to say just confirmed everything."

" So how is she?" he asked lifting the cup to his lips. Those deep grayish white eyes met mine as a silence fell between us.

I studied Neji. There was this coldness that radiated off of him and the hollowness of his eyes gave my brain the push to recall who he reminded me of.

Myself.

He didn't even have to say anything. His eyes told stories. A man who was broken, a shell of who he once was, who had a heavy burden that weighed him down.

I knew that look because I too had worn it for many years of my life.

But what exactly was the weight? What made him look so somber?

" She's doing alright," I poured myself a cup as well, " A stable income, good friends-"

" And what are you to her?"

I froze at his bluntness, holding the tea pot and tea cup stiffly.

An uneasiness washed over me. I knew this question might come up, but something about this was still a bit awkward for me.

Whelp there was no use in lying to him.

" I'm her boyfriend" I finally said and then continued my pouring.

Neji was silent. His eyes looked me over like he was seeing me for the first time.

" What am I not Hyuga worthy?" I asked with a chuckle.

" No it's just...I'm surprised at her type. She was always so docile," he looked at me curiously again, " I just assume the men she pursued would follow suit."

His some what scrutinizing gaze had ME looking MYSELF over.

Well with all my bandages and scars I guess I must have looked like some sort of gangster.

" So Naruto...why is it that you wanted to meet me?"

It was funny. How did I end up the one being interrogated?

I took a sip of my tea, before placing it down and crossing my fingers over each other.

" The truth" i replied.