Chapter 1: Low

My blankets once again held me willingly captive.

No, not the chirping birds or the sunlight peeking in from the blinds were a match for its cozy embrace.

I had just about convince myself that, maybe missing one day of work wouldn't be so bad after all.

I flipped over on to my side, slipping back into a deep sleep, when I suddenly realized there was a lot more space in my bed then I remembered.

This was a game I had played several times before, yet I still felt that sinking feeling in my gut.

My eyes peeled open and I sat up with a deep sigh.

As I expected, a hand written note on a scrap piece of paper laid next to me.

" Let's see what his excuse is this time" I mutter to myself as I lazily picked it up.

Sorry princess I had to leave for work. I have the early shift today, but I promise I'll make it up to you. Let's have dinner together at that restaurant you like. My treat.

I shook my head, " Yeah fucking right!"

I crumbled up the note, chucked it across the room then flopped back against my pillow.

He did it again.

I couldn't remember when these exchanges began, it was all a blur. One day he was my childhood friend and then suddenly we're tearing each other's clothes off in a drunken frenzy.

Pre-existing feelings muddled and before I knew it I was in love.

If only I could blame that on the alcohol.

Soon one lonely drunken night turned into two then three and now.. now I wasn't even sure what we were anymore. All I knew was I was waking up naked and alone a few too many times a week and these little notes were getting old.

My eyes met with the clock on my night stand.

7 am.

I guess I was going to work after all.

——

Crimson Corp. One of the largest and booming electronics and engineering companies in Japan and it didn't have that title for nothing. The work load was heavy and strict, everyone was expected to be on their A game, the text book definition of perfection.

To be honest I wasn't sure how a stuttering and clumsy mess like myself even managed to get a job here.

"  You look like you definitely need this" my coworker and best friend said handing me my daily dose of caffeine.

" You have NO idea, thanks Tenten " I responded, just before taking a sip of my usual vanilla latte with a double shot of espresso.

The office was loud and bustling as usual, people yelling orders to one another, phones ringing, papers flying, the type of environment that just made you want to move fast and get your work done ASAP.

" By your under eye bags and inside out shirt I think I have a clue" Tenten said as we made our way to our desk.

I looked down at myself and cursed. My shirt was not only inside out, but wrinkled, stained and to top it off I was wearing mismatched socks.

I rubbed my eyes, " If that clue starts with the letter K you would be right," I then threw my briefcase on my desk and collapsed in my chair with a defeated sigh.

I could feel Tenten giving me that " really " face expression and I didn't dare look back at her.

I knew a scolding was on its way.