Chapter 31: Clarity

I stared up at the ceiling fan in Sakura's room and smiled peacefully to myself. I could hear the soft howl of air escaping my friends chest.

We ended up staying the night at Sakura's house. It was an emotional night by the time we were done talking we all were so tired.

I was glad we spoke. Our conversation was still so clear in my head.

Last night:

" So you mean to tell me, you've secretly liked him this entire time? Even when Sakura was dating him" Ino said with wide eyes.

Everyone was looking at me, Yet the person I wanted to respond hadn't said a word. Sakura just looked at me with this blank expression as I told my story.

I suddenly felt so small. I mean what was I expecting, to know your friend was secretly lusting after your boyfriend didn't exactly warrant a pleasant reaction.

She must have thought I was absolutely insane.

My throat dried, " Well it wasn't like I was aware of my feelings, but yes I like him. I think I have since I met him that first night at the bar."

" I dated Kiba because he was the only one who protected me, the only one who showered me with affection, I thought this must be love, but it wasn't. I had no idea what love was. I was infatuated with him."

There was no change in Sakura's face.

" My feelings for Naruto-kun grew and grew and I started to even forget my desire to be with Kiba for a while, but then he broke off our friendship to be with Sakura and I was so angry and hurt."

I swallowed as I felt their gazes intensity. " I didn't understand why. I thought it was because he threw away our friendship so easily, but it was more than that. I had fallen for him and I didn't even notice. I went on to date Kiba around the same time, but it never felt right. I became obsessive I wanted to make sure he didn't leave me too and our relationship became so toxic."

I swallowed looking into Sakura's eyes.

" Even so....I found myself still wanting to be around Naruto-kun. Even though I tried to convince myself to stay mad at him and avoid him, I was drawn to him. I felt happier around him than I ever felt with Kiba, it felt so wrong and I tried to push it away but I couldn't..."

I felt someone rest there hand on mine. I was surprised to see it was Sakura.

" It was a feeling you've never experienced before wasn't it? You felt like your mind and body weren't listening to each other? It was scary, but exciting at the same time?"

I gripped Sakura's hand," Before I knew it, he was all I could think about. I felt like I was..."

" Losing your mind" Sakura finished my sentence.

Sakura and I exchanged smiles.

" I know exactly what you were feeling. I know exactly what you've been going through. We both fell in love in the strangest way possible" Sakura said with a chuckle.

Her grip increased on my hand and she pulled me in for a hug. I felt guilty as her arms tightened around me.

I couldn't understand how she could hug me.

She should have been angry at me for loving someone who once belonged to her not too long ago.

Wasn't this breaking the friend code?

" It's okay Hinata. I'm not mad at you for loving him, in fact I'm happy you do. Naruto has been broken for so long. Don't let his tough act fool you, he needs love more than anyone. Why do you think I wanted to be that person so bad? I wanted to save him."