Chapter 39: Unearthed

Start from the beginning

H POV

It was my first day back to work in a week and the break only seemed to reinstate the fact that I hated that place.

It didn't matter that i now was on a some what friendly basis with my boss, crimson Corp was still not my true calling, a constant reminder of my deferred dreams and suppressed passion.

Shino may have also sent me some pictures of him helping out at an elementary school and soured my mood even further and I may have dropped my lunch on the ground and was going through a hangry faze, but it still didn't change the fact that I hated my job.

When was I going to break the cycle and do something I wanted to do? Would I ever finish my degree?

And what the hell smelt so good?

I was standing out side my condo with my keys in my hand, questioning if I was about to enter the right place. And when I did, I was even more confused, because it was a lot cleaner than I remembered.

" Naruto-kun?" I called out, with worry.

Then before I could walk around and investigate two arms encircled my shoulders scaring me a bit.

" Surprise" Naruto said hugging me from behind.

" What are you doing out of bed?" I asked.

He came around to face me and extended his arms outwards " Cleaning" he responded.

I looked around and was shocked at how spotless everything was.

" Y-you cleaned?"

He took my hand and nodded " Yup, but that's not all I cooked us dinner and drew you a bath, you know the ones with those bath ball things."

" Bath bombs?" I said, my voice laced with shock and disbelief.

" Yeah" he said with a smile.

I felt like falling to my knees and crying.

Why was he so damn sweet? Was today some holiday I forgot about?

" W-why?"

" You've been taking care of me so I thought it's time I return the favor" he said. " Oh and I love you let's not forget that."

" B-but you're still hurt you didn't have to-"

" But I wanted to" he said cutting me off.

I was at a lost for words. I couldn't think to do anything but take him in my arms immediately.

" Thank you."

He leaned down so I could hug him tighter.

" No thank you" he replied.

I kissed his lips as we separated from our hug.

" Are you okay? How's your pain level?" I asked.

" I'm nearly as good as new don't you worry about me" Naruto said, before flexing both of his arms.

I wasn't entirely convinced. The past week was a pretty grueling recovery process for him. Though the swelling and wounds were healing thanks to the help of Sakura's suggestions, he was still in a lot of pain.

I poked his ribs with my fingers and watched him curl up and wince in pain.

" See!"

Naruto held up a hand " I swear it's not as bad as it seems!"

I poked his other side and this time he let out a grunt.

" Okay maybe I over did it a little" he said under my scrutinizing gaze.