Chapter Seventeen: "How'd You Stay So...Kind?"

Começar do início

Billie chuckled, “mom, this is Chelsea, a friend of mine.”

My heart lurched painfully. Ouch. And a while ago you were telling those cheerleaders that I was your girlfriend… “hello, Mrs. Armstrong,” I finally looked up.

Instead of the frown and disapproving gaze I was expecting, she was sporting a huge smile. “Oh, Billie, you didn’t tell me you’re having guests over! What did I tell you about that, huh? Oh,” she turned to me, “call me Ollie, please. Mrs. Armstrong sounds way older than I do,” she ended with a giggle.

“Okay, Ollie...” I have to admit, it feels weird to have the name of your ‘boyfriend’s’ mom fall from your lips.

“Oh, mom, I’ll just bring her upstairs and then you can call us back down or something, ‘kay? Love you!” he called out and pulled me to the direction of the stairs.

No words were said until I was pulled into Billie Joe Armstrong’s room.

“Wow…you’re pretty neat for a guy,” I remarked at his desk, which was hardly littered with anything and his carpeted floor, where I was expecting to find used/unused clothes on. The walls were filled with posters of bands but, that’s about the only giveaway that this room belongs to a teenager.

Heh, neat freak.

“Well, don’t judge a book by its cover,” he winks as he sits me down on his bed. “Stay there, I’ll just get something,” he looks at me one last time before disappearing through his bedroom door, returning with a bowl of ice two minutes later.

He sets them down near my feet, “roll up your pants.”

I follow him obediently, having a clue as to what was going to happen. I stop a few inches above my ankle.

“Alright, this is cold so…yeah. Don’t scream,” he warns me playfully before wrapping up an ice cube inside a cotton cloth and pressing it lightly then firmly on my ankle. I bite my lip.

“Does it hurt?” he asked; I shook my head.

“It’s just the temperature.”

He smiles and continues to hold the cloth to my ankle and, I swear, I can hear him singing something familiar.

“Are you a fan of Green Day?” he suddenly asks. I nod my head excitedly.

“Yeah, I got pretty freaked at the poster you have of them over there,” I point out and he laughed. “You kinda look like the lead vocalist, actually…now that you’ve mentioned it.”

“You like ‘im? The lead vocalist, I mean?” he tilts his head, looking up at me slowly.

I shrug, looking down at him, trying to prevent myself from giggling out loud.

“What would you do about this?” he asks, pointing at my bruised ankle.

“Nothing, I guess…it’s really not in my nature to fight back or even get involved in those things,” I smile, pushing the topic away. I really don’t want to talk about this yet.

“But they’ve been taunting you ever since you entered this school! Why won’t you do anything about it? You know what, I’ll help you with your plan…whatever it would be,” he babbled on and stopped when he realized he was rambling.

I smiled at his bashful expression; he looks cute, “I guess I just can’t be bothered with it, you know. Like, they’re going to be there all the time and they’re going to be mocking me all the time and they’re not going anywhere. So what’s the point?”

His face is now neutral, void of all emotion. “How’d you stay so…kind? It’s quite, y’know, fascinating how you seemed to have control of yourself.”

I shrugged, “That’s what my parents used to tell me as well, they never understood me, either. I really don’t know how I had this mentality but it’s just there…I don’t know.”

The ice melted pretty soon and he stood up, going inside his bathroom to probably leave the bowl there. He went back inside his room in time to see me rolling down my pant leg once again.

“Are you okay now?” he asks as he takes the space beside me.

“Yeah,” I beam at him. “Thanks, Billie.”

I STILL FEEL GUILTY, I'M SO SORRY IF I'VE BEEN KIND OF NEGLECTING YOU GUYS, I STILL LOVE YOU <3 (and I hope you still love me, too).

xo,

T.