Chapter 41

Claire

It had been a week since I was captured. Seven days since we lost our baby. The heart ache was still ever present, the nightmares all consuming. I hadn't slept more than a few hours at a time, barely eaten anything despite Alaina's repeated attempts. She and Celeste had been back every day to check on us, to help us in any way they could. While their care and friendship was appreciated, it did little to alleviate the constant ache in my chest where the love for our baby still burns.

Rowan had not been back.

I hadn't seen or talked to him since he flew away with that man. I had tried to mind link him a million times, but his block is always up. Bennett told me he is at the council headquarters in the cellar with the man. That he is paying for his atrocities.

I don't care.

I don't care about any of it.

Nothing Rowan does to that man will bring our baby back. And every moment he spends away from us only adds to the rage building inside of me. For the life of me, I can't figure out what his reasoning is. Finally, I get fed up with it and storm from the house, my fury fueling my feet towards the building I know my other mate is in.

Bennett follows me, full of concern and trying to talk me out of it, but I ignore him.

"He's just processing it differently, Claire." He tries to reason with me but I just growl at him.

"It's unacceptable, Bennett! Never have we gone this long without seeing him since I've been marked. Who is he to think he can just abandon us?" I shout and Bennett sighs, running his fingers through his hair.

"Baby, you're just going to piss him off. Please don't make it worse. He wouldn't want you anywhere near this place." He pleads but I cut him off with a firm glare as I stomp up the stairs to the headquarters.

"I don't care if I make him mad. Him screaming at me is better than him fucking ignoring us! He's not the only one who lost a child. We all did. And we need each other to grieve and heal. He is a part of us. Don't pretend you haven't been suffering by his absence too." I say and he shrugs.

"Of course I have, but I learned a long time ago that sometimes Rowan deals with things differently. I don't know what you're walking into and I don't want him to say something harsh that will upset you even more." He says and I shrug as I practically fly down the stairs leading to the dingy cellar.

"I don't care, Bennett. Enough is enough." I say as I push open the door that leads to the cells. I can feel Rowan's presence and know I'm getting close. Every one of my senses is assaulted by this place. The smell of piss, blood and earth. The sounds of screaming and crying. The freezing cold temperature making my body shiver. I walk down the long hallway and look in through the small window. I see Rowan sitting by himself at a table, his hands curled into fists as he stares at nothing.

"You're on your own with this one, Claire." Bennett says, looking at me anxiously before his eyes flit back to Rowan.

"That's fine. I'll can handle whatever he throws at me, but I can't handle being left to deal with this without him. It's the cruelest thing he's ever done." I admit, my voice hitching as I swallow down more tears. Bennett simply nods and walks back down the hallway away from me.

I push open the door and slam it shut behind me. This catches Rowan's attention and his eyes snap up to me. His brows furrow in confusion before a scowl takes over his face.

"What the fuck are you doing down here, Claire? This is not somewhere you should be." He says firmly. I roll my eyes and cross my arms over my chest.

"This isn't where you should be either, Rowan." I spit at him. He growls a little and stands so fast his chair falls over backwards.