Chapter 23

Rowan

I hate admitting to myself how much it hurt to fly away from Bennett and Claire. The tears on her face when I went to leave nearly broke me. Bennett and I had never separated before she entered our lives. Where I went, so did he. But it was too dangerous to bring Claire and I could now admit that I actually care what happens to her. I feel a little guilty about it actually. It took me a long time to warm up to Bennett, but Claire has this sweet vulnerability to her that has my heart softening much faster than it did with Bennett.

I can't help but think about what she said about the humans. She's right, of course. Many supernaturals have human mates. Not so much wolves for some reason, but it's not unheard of for them either. Perhaps she's right. Maybe the high instance of mateless supernaturals is because we don't protect the humans and they are killed off before their mates can find them and turn them immortal.

I wonder if it really did take so long to find our next human mate because we simply weren't gifted with one, or if others had been killed. Either way, I'm quite pleased with Claire. She's smart, sweet and her quick mouth is always a source of entertainment.

Soon the capital city comes into view, having flown this way so many times the trip barely bothers me anymore. I land on the steps of the council's headquarters and shift. There are no humans in this city, only supernaturals and a majority of the dragons that reside here come to seee me, their king. I've never been particularly fond of the role, but it was my father's before me. When my mother was killed he couldn't handle the pressure anymore and passed on the crown to me.

I climb the stairs and head straight for the meeting room, not wanting this to last any longer than necessary. When I enter, it looks like only the High Lord of the Fae is missing.

Those pretentious assholes always like to make us wait.

I roll my eyes at the thought and take my seat next to the Alpha of Werewolves. Atticus nods his head at me and looks back towards the door as the other leaders engage in small talk.

I fucking hate small talk.

I have no patience for these meetings. If I wanted to sit around and have pointless conversations with douche bags all day I'd talk to myself in a mirror. At least Bennett and Claire have some redeeming qualities and are basically forced to like me.

I'm a lucky asshole.

There's a knock on the door and a man pops his head in. Atticus motions for the man to approach and I can't stop the audible groan that comes from me.

"Now, now Dragon King. Play nice." Atticus says with a smirk.

"If only Damon didn't have to be so fucking annoying." I murmur back making Atticus laugh heartily. Damon crosses the room quickly and thrusts a folder in Atticus' hand.

"Here are the documents you requested on the land dispute, Alpha." Damon says before turning his eyes to me and giving me an annoying smirk.

"Trouble in paradise, Rowan?" He asks and I snarl at him.

"What are you talking about?" I ask and Damon shrugs.

"I didn't see your loyal lap dog with you today." He says and my chest rumbles with anger.

"Refer to my mate as a dog one more time. See what happens." I seethe and Atticus smacks Damon on the back of the head.

"Knock that shit off, Damon. And refer to him as King." Atticus says and a small kernel of appreciation grows in me for the man. I don't particularly like him, but I dislike him the least of my fellow leaders.

The only people on this planet that I like are Bennett and Claire.

"He's not my king. I'm not a dragon." Damon says and Atticus growls at him.