Chapter 2

Claire

No. No no no no no.

This can't be happening.

Please don't let this be happening.

"She smells good, doesn't she Bennett?" The deep timber of the man's voice rings out through the still night and my body shivers in fear and disgust.

Suddenly another man is at my side, twining his fingers through my hair. I can't see either of them clearly in the dark. The man, Bennett apparently, leans down close to me and takes in a large lungful of my scent as well. My knees begin to shake in terror and a low growl rumbles from his chest.

"She does smell good. She's pretty too." He says, pecking a kiss to my cheek. My face crunches in despair as I try to pull from their hold.

"Let me go." I beg and the first man chuckles.

"Awe. The little human is nervous." He says, amusement evident in his voice. A sob breaks from my lips as I try to pull my arm from his grasp.

"You're hurting me." I say, tugging my arm again.

"Let her go, Rowan." Bennett says, making the larger man grunt.

"Don't get attached to her. You know what happened to the last one. I will never understand why we keep getting these weak little humans for mates." He sneers, gripping my hand and pulling me down the street.

"No!" I cry ripping my hand free and running towards the door of my apartment complex.

I hear both creatures growl loudly before heavy footsteps catch up to me easily. A thick, solid arm is wrapped around my waist before I feel myself lifted, my stomach coming into contact painfully with a shoulder as I'm carried away. The sudden pressure knocks the wind out of me and I struggle to breathe as I feel my heart pound painfully in my chest, my limbs shaking from pure terror.

"Just let me go! Leave me alone! I don't want this!" I cry as I try to squirm out of the man's grasp.

"Stay still, little one. It will make this easier." The second man, Bennett, says. I begin to thrash harder, tears pouring from my eyes as I try to extricate myself from his firm grasp. I hear a loud sigh as I struggle in vain.

"Are you sure, Bennett. I don't think she's going to be worth the trouble. We're better off just killing her." His words cause me to freeze as fear clutches at me, making it difficult to breathe.

Bennett growls again and tightens his hold on me.

"No. I want her. And the kingdom won't wait forever. You need an heir. We had to wait nearly a hundred years after you killed the last one, they will take your throne if you do it again." He says firmly and bile coats my mouth. I try to stop myself from spewing, but when he jostles me again and juts his shoulder into my stomach, I vomit the meatloaf I just had onto his back and the ground.

He roars in disgust and throws me on the ground. I land awkwardly on my arm, and hear a pop in my wrist as pain courses through me. I scream as tears flood my eyes, and pull my arm up to hold it gingerly. I can't see through my tears, but hear Bennett growl and see his eyes begin to glow green. It scares me and I push back against the wall of a building trying to get away from him. The other man, Rowan, chuckles as he stands and watches.

"You were saying?" He taunts. Bennett seems to gain some control as his eyes slowly lose their glow. He sighs heavily and takes off the shirt I just threw up on, throwing it on the ground before coming towards me.

"No. Just leave me here! You don't want me. I'll just be a pest. Leave me here and we can pretend this never happened." I beg of him and he shakes his head while Rowan chuckles again.