Chapter 35

Claire

It took months and months of planning, building and preparation, but the day had finally come to move the humans into their own safe cities. I had talked to many people, preparing them for the move, explaining the reasoning and to say they were thrilled was an understatement. Every time another human thanked me for making this possible, I knew that I had made the right decision.

Alaina and I had become close, working long hours together. I also spent a lot of time with her mate, Celeste, and had grown attached to her as well. The two women were so in sync they didn't even need to finish their own sentences. Celeste was a little wary of Rowan, but I couldn't blame her.

The man is intimidating.

Alaina and I were strolling around the city one last time to make sure all of the wards the witches put up were working and that the blood bank was ready. We had implemented that plan right away and it had been a big success. Nearly every human was willing to donate blood and there hadn't been a human killed by a vampire since. Some of the vampires were a little annoyed, since they enjoyed the hunt, but when Alaina made it law they had no choice but to abide.

The city we picked had a small number of wolves living in it. Atticus helped us relocate them and they were actually pleased by the move, since their new home has gorgeous forest sorrounding it. We still set up a 'police force' of sorts that has silver bullets for wolves and gold bullets for dragons just in case there is an attack. I was surprised to find out that gold is a dragon's weakness. I always thought they cherished the metal, but Alaina says they only hoard it to protect themselves.

We watch as the streets are flooded with wide eyed humans, looking at the newly constructed homes and businesses. They will never need to leave the safety of the city unless they want to. Grocery stores, movie theaters, parks and a hospital are all located within the walls that were constructed to keep supernaturals out. A woman I had met previously walks up to me with her daughter in her arms, tears streaming down her face as she hugs me.

"Thank you, Claire. Thank you so much. You have no idea what this means to us." She murmurs, hugging me again.

"I do. I know how much I would have loved to grow up in a place like this with my parents. Please, enjoy it. Live everyday without fear." I say back with a wide, watery smile. The woman smiles back, but then I watch her smile fall and her eyes go wide with fear. I look around me curiously and realize why she looks so scared.

My mates have arrived.

They walk up to me, flanking either side, dwarfing me in their large frames.

"What are they doing here?" The woman whispers and Bennett chuckles a little.

"Don't worry about them. They are my mates. They helped make this all possible. You have nothing to fear from them. This one is a big puppy." I motion towards Bennett. "And this one is a harmless gecko." I say cheekily. Rowan grunts but the woman doesn't look convinced.

"Gecko?" She asks.

"Dragon." Rowan corrects, wrapping an arm around my shoulder. "But my queen is right. We won't hurt you. We are just here to make sure nothing happens to our little demon." He says with an affectionate smile.

"Demon! There are demons too?" The woman asks horrified and I can't help the raucous laughter that escapes me. I smack Rowan's stomach and shake my head.

"No. That's just Rowan's way of showing me affection." I say with a bright smile. He scoffs and shakes his head but leans down to kiss me.

"If you weren't so frustrating I wouldn't call you a demon." He says and I shrug.

"It's worth it." I respond and grip the woman's hand, showing her to her new home. She thanks me again repeatedly and I smile as we leave her to settle in.

I thread my fingers through Bennett's and smile at my mates as we watch people find their homes, reunite with friends they haven't seen. There are smiles and laughter ringing through the air. I catch sight of Alaina as she and Celeste mosey up to us.

"Well, I think this has been a success!" Alaina says excitedly as she claps her hands. I nod in agreement.

"Yes, it has. It's better than I ever thought possible." I say, my voice catching on the emotion in my throat. Alaina gives me an affectionate smile and pulls me into a hug with her and Celeste. Rowan's chest rumbles in discontent and I glare at him to hush him.

"Thank you for all of your help, Alaina. I never could have done this without you." I tell her honestly and she waves me off.

"This was your idea. And you deserve all of the credit. As much as I am enjoying this, I think Celeste and I are going to go. I think I am making some of the humans uncomfortable. I doubt they want to see a vampire within the walls of their new sanctuary." She says and I nod.

"Yes, we should go too. Bennett and Rowan are scary as hell." I say with a laugh. Bennett chuckles while Rowan rolls his eyes. We stroll towards the gate and I take one more look around, basking in the serenity that the peaceful environment brings.

These people won't have to worry about going out after dark, being thrown around by wolves, living in an apartment building that collapses under the weight of these creatures. They won't have to worry about accidentally looking one in the eye, or taking one home from a date. The children will get to laugh and grow with their parents, go to school and have friends. It's the best thing I've ever seen.

"We're so proud of you, baby." Bennett says with a smile, kissing my temple.

"Yes, you've done an incredible thing here." Rowan adds with his own smile, leaning down to kiss me gently. I smile at both of them, then hold my arms up to Bennett, signaling I want to be carried. He chuckles but swings me up swiftly into his strong arms and I rest my head against his shoulder.

"I'm so grateful you found me. If you hadn't this never would have happened." I say honestly as Bennett carries me towards the car so we can head back to our house. I told Rowan he couldn't fly since I didn't want to freak out the humans. It took some convincing, but he finally agreed.

"I'm grateful we found you too. We're quite fond of you." Rowan says with a teasing smile. I snort at him, but burrow further into Bennett. He slips into the car, keeping me on his lap. I sit up a little to kiss him, tracing his lower lip with my tongue until he grants me entrance. His fingers tighten on my hips as I thread my fingers in his hair, pulling gently until he groans. I pull away reluctantly as Rowan starts the car.

"Seeing you two work so hard for this, to help me achieve my dream... It's made me realize some things. Make some decisions." I say as my heart begins to pound from nerves. Rowan must notice as he looks at me questioningly.

"Oh? And what decsions are those, little demon?" He asks, reaching over to grip my hand in his. I know he does that when he wants to feel my pulse to see if I'm lying. I just smile, knowing he's about to be shocked.

"It's made me realize that you two aren't the monsters I first thought. You are sweet, kind, gentle and loving. You make me feel special and cherished. I was worried that I would be nothing but property to you, but you have proven over and over again that you take my feelings and my values into consideration. It means more than you'll ever know." I say, trying to swallow the knot in my throat. My chest warms with affection as my eyes dart from Bennett to Rowan, both watching me with anticipation.

"Thank you, baby. You know we would do anything to make you happy." Bennett says gently, reaching up to run his thumb down my cheek. I lean into his touch and close my eyes, relishing in the sparks splashing across my skin.

"I once told Rowan that I had no interest in raising a child with you, because I didn't want to see it grow up to be like you. But I don't feel that way anymore. I would love to have a pack of little Rowans and Bennetts. I think you both would make amazing fathers." I admit quietly. Rowan suddenly slams his foot on the brake at my words and Bennett's arms tighten around me to keep me from going flying. I grip onto him and watch as Rowan throws the car into park and twists his body to face me head on.

"What are you saying, Claire?" He asks sternly.

"I'm saying..." I start before taking a heavy breath. "I'm saying I want to have a baby."