Chapter 22

Claire

Bennett carried me back into the house and we ate breakfast together quietly. It felt strange in the house with just the two of us, like Rowan's departure left a physical hole. It was unnerving and I couldn't help but be jittery.

"What's wrong?" Bennett asks and I sigh heavily.

"Why am I so worried about him? He's been a dick to me more than he hasn't. Why do I care so much about him?" I ask incredulously and Bennett chuckles.

"It's the mate bond. It's not entirely your fault. It pushes us to care for each other. Being a wolf, I feel it the strongest. You would feel it second to me but it takes longest to take hold on dragons." He explains.

"Why is that?" I ask and he shrugs.

"Not sure. Maybe because they are more beast than man. Or they are less affectionate in general. Hard to know, but he will come around. It took months for him to start caring for me the way he has for you in only a few weeks." Bennett says and that warms my heart a little.

"He's still a dick." I say firmly making Bennett laugh.

"Yeah. He is. You get used to it." He says before cleaning up the mess from breakfast.

Before long we were sitting on the couch together watching TV. I couldn't stop a heavy sigh and looked over at Bennett.

"Bennett."

"Yeah, baby?"

"I'm bored." I huff out and Bennett chuckles. "Is this what you guys do every day?" I ask and he shakes his head.

"No. We're usually in the capital, dealing with issues. We travel a lot, stop battles from breaking out. Supernaturals are difficult creatures to keep in line." He says and I stare at him.

"Then why are we here?" I ask and Bennett gives me an exasperated look.

"Because our fiesty new little mate is an unmarked human. We're not risking you among a bunch of hot headed creatures that are ten times stronger than you and lack any real sense of self restraint. Especially with that mouth you have on you." He says and I scoff.

"Like anyone could hurt me with you and Rowan around." I say.

"Physically, the chances are slim, but witches could hex you, the Fae could get you to walk off of a building by manipulating your mind. Vampires are incredibly fast, they could drain you before Rowan or I have a chance to stop them. It's too dangerous." He says, becoming distraught as he thinks about all of the dangers this world presents to me.

I scoot over the couch to him and shuffle onto his lap, resting against him. He sighs and wraps his arms around me, pressing a firm kiss to my temple.

"If you got hurt. Fuck Claire, it would destroy me." He says quietly and I look into his warm, green eyes.

"Why though? You've only known me for a few weeks, a month." I say and he tightens his grip on me.

"I wasn't kidding when I said the mate bond forms faster for wolves. I was attached to you the moment I saw you. I have to fight my wolf every moment of every day to not mark you against your will. You are so important to me. So special. I may have had a hard time showing it at first, I may have been rough and unreasonable, but it was because I felt so strongly for you. But I feel even more for you now. Doing things like watching movies, going to the store, cooking together, Rowan and I don't do that shit. But I love it so much. I love you, Claire. My sweet little mate. You're just... perfect." He says quietly and I'm stunned by his admission.

"You love me?" I ask incredulously and he nods his head, a nervous little smile on his face.

"The moment you asked me to play hide and seek with you, I was a fucking goner." He says and I can't help but giggle.

"Bennett, I..." He puts a finger to my lips to quiet me.

"You don't have to say it back. I know you don't feel it yet. But I don't mind putting in the work and nurturing our bond until you do. I will never hurt you again and I will regret that for eternity. I was an idiot and let my anger get the best of me." He says passionately and I feel tears prick my eyes.

"I really care about you Bennett. But you're right, I need more time. I need to learn to trust you too. This is still new for me." I say and he nods.

"That's alright. I'm happy just to sit here and hold you." He says, digging his face into my neck and humming with content as if to prove his point.

"Bennett."

"Yeah, baby?"

"I'm still bored." I say and Bennett tips his head back to laugh.

"We could go for a run." He says and I scrunch up my nose.

"Physical excercise isn't really my thing." I admit and Bennett chuckles again.

"I would do the running. You would ride me." He says and I grin at him.

"Is that a sexual innuendo?" I ask and he shakes his head.

"No. But we could do that too, if you wanted." He says, wagging his eyebrows at me. I laugh at him, smacking his chest playfully.

"What, I would ride on your back?" I ask.

"My wolf's back." He says and my eyes go wide.

"Your... wolf?" I ask and he nods.

"Yeah. It'll be fun. Don't worry, he'd never hurt you." He says, but my thundering heart isn't quite sure it believes him.

He stands up, carrying me out the door and sets me down gently on the porch before he begins to strip. I feel my face heat up and turn away from him. His deep laughter rings out from behind me and soon his heat envelopes me.

"What's the matter, little one? It's nothing you haven't seen or touched before." He whispers in my ear. The little hairs on my neck stand up as my body shivers. He chuckles and places gentle kisses to my neck up to my ear. He presses into my back, and I feel his hard length pressing into me. I gasp at the feel and try to stifle a moan.

"It's ok to want me. I want you too." He murmurs, his arms wrapping around me. I relax into his hold, my body trembling with the effort of holding back.

"Just give me a minute and I'll shift." He says with one last peck to my cheek. I hear popping noises and turn to look, but what I find terrifies me.

A giant grey wolf with black spots and glowing green eyes meets me. The creature watches me warily, before sitting on his haunches. I amble towards it slowly, watching it nervously. It whines a little and lifts a paw, almost beckoning me closer. I reach out my hand to touch it and it lifts it's wet snout, licking my hand. I smile and run my fingers through the fur on the top of his head. His chest rumbles as his eyes close and tongue lolls out. I laugh at the sight and the wolf yips in joy before he stands and starts to circle me, rubbing his body along mine. He eventually comes to a stop and leans down, motioning with his large head for me to climb on top. I swing my leg over him and straddle his large back, twining my fingers in his fur to hold on. He takes off at a gentle sprint and I can't help but smile, enjoying the feel of the wind on my face. Bennett's wolf looks up at me a few times, like making sure I'm still there.

He takes off faster, running at full speed, dodging trees and jumping over fallen logs faster than my mind can keep track of them. I let out a peal of laughter when he jumps in a puddle, water splashing up and hitting my face. The wolf lets out a huff that almost sounds like laughter. We reach the pond I had found the night I ventured out here by myself. The wolf stops when he sees where we are and I climb down, wrapping my arms around his neck and tucking my face into his fur. He is so warm and soft and smells so relaxing, just like Bennett. I look into his green eyes and even I can't mistake the sadness. I know he's thinking the same thing I am, the night Rowan almost killed me.

"It's alright, Benny. Let's go home." I say quietly, and the wolf nods and leans down for me to climb back on, but I shake my head.

"I want to walk. Can you go slow with me?" I ask and the wolf nods.

He turns me back in the right direction and we start to walk at my leisurely pace. I reach out and thread my fingers through his fur again, just holding onto him gently. I hear him rumble again, obviously enjoying my touch. His big head swivels to lick my cheek and I smile at him before turning around and looking at this place one last time, hoping to never see it again.