Chapter 29

Claire.

I go to respond to Alaina, but the door bursts open the next second gaining everyone's attention. A man walks through with a smug grin on his face, his eyes bouncing around the room until they land on me. Then they widen with surprise, which quickly turns into interest. I don't like this man. His sharp features, dark hair and dark eyes make him feel dangerous. Like a predator. He makes a beeline for Rowan and I, and I instinctively step closer to Rowan. He wraps an arm around me and tucks me into his side.

"King Rowan!" The man exclaims. "So it seems I was right. You found a new little human." He says and Rowan snarls at him.

"Her name is Claire, Damon." Rowan says and Damon's eyes sparkle with curiosity.

"Such a pretty name for such a pretty little thing." The man says letting his fingers trail down my arm. I flinch at the contact and pull away just as Rowan growls at him. Rowan goes to say something, but another man calls the meeting to order.

Rowan pulls out a chair for me to sit in before sitting next to me and reaching out to hold my hand. Much to my disappointment, Damon sits on my other side. He schooches closer to me and my body freezes at his close proximity. Rowan notices, but his attention is quickly pulled elsewhere.

The meeting begins with topics on witches using hexes on wolves for fun and how they should be punished. The conversation is long and tedious and I can't help but tune it out until Rowan clears his throat.

"Claire brought some interesting thoughts to my attention after we found her. May we discuss them?" Rowan asks and everyone nods.

"Claire brought up the fact that humans can be mates for supernaturals, but they are basically prey otherwise. She muses the large number of unmated creatures may be due to the fact that so many of them are killed." He says and is cut off in the next moment by another voice.

"How intelligent of your sweet little mate to think of that." Damon says to my left with a sickeningly sweet voice. He reaches out and tucks my hair behind my ear making me flinch and Rowan snarl again

"Keep your hands off of her." Rowan seethes. Damon holds his hands up in defeat and Rowan continues.

"Claire suggested a safe city for humans where creatures cannot live. Laws against feeding on humans, killing them..." Rowan says and to my surprise Alaina nods.

"That's an excellent idea." She says firmly and I can't hold back my shock.

"You really think so?" I ask and her eyes land on me before she nods and gives me a little smile.

"Yes. Vampires only have human mates. It makes sense we would want to protect them." She says.

"I didn't know that. So do you... feed on your mate?" I ask and she nods. My mouth drops in horror but she just chuckles.

"Trust me. They like it." She says.

"How?" I ask and she gives me a warm smile.

"When a vampire feeds on their mate it feels incredible for the human. Almost... orgasmic." She says and my face heats up in a blush.

"Awe, did you get a sweet and innocent one, Rowan? That blush on her face indicates so." Damon asks and I scowl at him. Rowan's jaw clenches, but I squeeze his hand urging him to let it go.

"What about the unmated Vampires? How will they feed?" Atticus asks and I consider his question.

"Whar about a blood bank? Humans volunteer to have blood drawn. Not enough to hurt them. Vampires come and take what they need. No one has to die." I suggest and Alaina's eyes light up.

"That's a brilliant idea, Claire." She says and I smile in return.

"Since you two seem to be so agreeable on this topic, why don't you work together?" Atticus asks and I look at him confused.

"What do you mean?" I ask and the man shrugs.

"You're a human. You would know what a human city would look like. What they need to be successful. Keeping creatures away shouldn't be that difficult. The ones we'll have the most trouble with are vampires so it makes sense their queen would be involved in these plans." He says and I look over at Rowan who is watching me with pride.

"I think that's an excellent idea. Of course Bennett and I would be able to help as well. This is a lot of planning, logistics. But I think in the long run it would be best for all of us. Claire also suggested some education." Rowan says and I nod fervently.

"Yes, teaching humans what it means to be a mate. I was terrified at first. I didn't understand how deep the bond goes, how special it is. I thought I just smelled good to them." I say and this is met with raucous laughter. Even Rowan chuckles next to me.

"If humans knew more about supernaturals and were kept safe from them, a lot of other mates could have a much better beginning than I did with mine." I say and the others nod.

"Oh, I'm sure despite your poor beginning the king has managed to give you a few happy endings." Damon says with humor next to me. He reaches out to grip my thigh, squeezing it gently. Rowan snarls at him and I push his hand away.

I stand, wanting to get as far away from him as possible, and go to sit on Rowan's lap. He pulls me into him immediately and pins Damon with a firm glare, but the man only smiles and winks at me, making my skin crawl. Rowan's whole body is tense, his jaw tight and hands clenched into fists. The others watch the scene nervously and I realize Rowan is about to lose his temper. I cup his cheeks with my hands and pull his gaze to me. His eyes are glowing gold and I get a little nervous, but I lean over to kiss him gently. I feel his body relax a bit as he kisses me back. I pull back to look at him and he gives me a small smile before refocusing on the topic at hand.

"I think it will take a lot of time and effort, but your queen's thought process makes sense and I believe the changes could be beneficial in the long run." The man that Rowan said is the High Lord of the Fae says and everyone nods in agreement. They all vote for Alaina and I to work together on creating a safe space for humans. She gives me a warm smile from across the table and I smile back. I know I'll need to deal with my fear of Vampires, but I believe in this cause and know that I can handle it.

I'm giddy with the small victories I've had today and barely notice when the meeting is adjourned. Damon leans across my vacated chair to look at me.

"It was a pleasure to meet you Claire. I look forward to seeing you much more often." He says with a smug grin.

I watch as he leaves before trying to stand up off of Rowan's lap, but he holds me tightly until everyone has left the room. I can tell he's furious through our bond and I start to get nervous for what he will do next. Once everyone leaves, he stands and sets me down in his vacated chair before stalking towards the door and walking into the hallway, looking both ways to make sure that we are alone and that I am truly trapped with a pissed off dragon.