Chapter 33

Claire

Rowan sat down on the bench in the shower with me in his arms and I curled into his warmth, relishing his gentle care while he is being generous with it. I place a soft kiss to his neck and his chest rumbles appreciatively before he looks down at me and smiles.

"Claire..." He says and I pop my eyes up to look at him.

"Yes?" I ask curiously. His hand comes up to cup my cheek and I watch him as he takes heavy breaths.

"I love you, little demon." He says with smirk. My breath hitches and I can't help but smile. I know I had said it earlier, but I wasn't expecting him to say it back.

"Really?" I ask and he huffs out a laugh.

"Yes really. Don't make me take it back." He jokes and I gape at him.

"Don't you dare! You ridiculous newt." I mutter under my breath and Rowan chuckles.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you." He says, nuzzling his face into my neck. I let out a contented sigh, the warm water helping my sore, tired body to relax.

"You didn't upset me, Rowan. Just surprised me." I say and he looks at me confused.

"Why?" He asks and I shrug.

"You go from claiming every inch of my body like a beast to snuggling and telling me you love me. It's enough to give a girl whiplash." I chuckle a little as he smiles.

"Well, it's true. I love you." He says again and my heart patters with joy.

"I love you too." I whisper as I lift myself up to press my lips against his. I rest back in his arms, but want Bennett with me as well.

"Benny!" I shout and he pops his head in the door.

"Yeah, baby?" He asks.

"Get in here with us." I say and he smiles before stripping and sliding in.

"Good lord it smells like Rowan in here." He says with a laugh.

"He made sure of it." I mutter annoyed and both men laugh. Bennett and Rowan help me clean up, because my limbs still feel like jello.

When Rowan puts me down to get dressed I nearly fall on tired legs. He catches me and they help me get dressed before we leave the council headquarters. I reach out to Bennett, wanting to be close to him after a day dedicated nearly entirely to Rowan. He doesn't obect and carries me through the building. I tuck my face into his neck and close my eyes, letting the movements of his body rock me into a sleep like trance.

Mostly so I don't have to look at anyone after they heard what Rowan and I did. I'm not sure I could survive the mortification. I feel the cool air on my face as we leave the building and go to lift my head and open my eyes, but Bennett brings his large hand up to shield my view and keep my head pressed against his chest.

"Don't look, little one. Trust me." He says seriously when I look up into his eyes. I nod and hear a little growl from Rowan as he looks over his latest kill. I can see the blood staining the stone steps and decide I don't need to see any more.

It doesn't take long for us to return home and I let out a big yawn as Bennett lowers me to the couch. I look around the house, still missing our old one. This one doesn't feel like home and with it's proximity to the capital, I'm not sure it ever will.

"I want to cook you guys a nice dinner." I say excitedly, going to push myself off the couch, but Rowan pushes me back gently and shakes his head.

"Not tonight, little demon. You need to relax." He says and I huff at him.