Chapter 9

Claire

I watched Bennett walk away and then was plunged into total darkness. I sighed heavily, my body sore from my mistreatment and tired from my escape attempt. With the adrenaline gone, my limbs felt heavy and tired. I felt my way over to the cot and laid down on it, grateful to at least have the blanket and pillow. Sleeping down here was honestly better than sleeping between Rowan and Bennett. At least I wouldn't sweat the whole time.

It didn't take long for me to fall into a fitful sleep. There was nothing comfortable or restful about it. What seemed like not long after I was left alone, the light flicked on and my eyes narrowed against the intrusion. I heard the door swing open and heavy footsteps coming towards me. I peeked my eyes open and found Bennett, walking down the hallway with a tray. He slipped it into the cell through a small hole and turned to walk away, not saying anything. I heard the door close again and stood. The tray held some eggs, bread and a glass of water. I scarfed down the food, my stomach gnawing at itself still wanting more. I eyed the bucket, needing badly to relieve myself. I figured I'd have to use it eventually, so I swallowed down the degradation and squatted.

Damn animals didn't even give me toilet paper.

I had barely finished my business when the door opened again and the lights were flicked off, sorrounding me in consuming blackness again. I sighed and felt my way back to my cot, careful not to knock over my disgusting bucket. I climbed back under the blanket and wrapped myself up tightly. It's easier to wallow in self pity that way.

Two more times, a few hours apart, Bennett came back with a tray, taking the previous one with him. Lunch had meat and bread, as did dinner with the exciting addition of some strawberries.

A freaking miracle.

He didn't speak a single word and left the lights on barely long enough for me to eat and use the bucket if I needed to. If the conditions had been a little better I probably wouldn't have minded the set up. A bedroom with a bathroom, three real meals a day. I wouldn't complain about that. I slipped in and out of sleep. I assumed after the last meal it was nighttime now. I heard a loud howl at some point. It sounded incredibly sad. A small pang of hurt went through me, but I reminded myself that it was their fault I tried to run. They were cruel and rough. All they did was hurt and scare me. All of the stories I had heard, mates were precious, sacred even to their kind. Maybe if they were mated to other supernaturals that was the case. Rowan seemed very fond of Bennett and with how attentive Bennett could be, I imagine he felt the same for Rowan. I felt like Bennett didn't mean to hurt me or scare me, but he had done little to change his behavior in the time I had been with them. If they wanted me to accept them, or at least not run away them from, they had to know that they needed to change.

My imprisonment continued for what I guessed was three days. I heard a painful howl what I assumed was every evening before being left in darkness for what had to be hours. On what I assumed was the morning of the fourth day, Bennett came downstairs like he always did, but this time he opened the door to my cell and jerked his hand, motioning for him to follow him.

I did so suspiciously, not sure if my sentence was over or if he only had a new form of torture for me. He led me up the stairs and into the bedroom we had previously shared, before turning and pushing me towards the bathroom.

"Shower." He said simply. I didn't hesitate, quick to clean the grime from my body. It had started to make me itchy.

I took my time in the hot spray, not sure when I would get another shower. My legs became wobbly from disuse and lack of nutrition, the meals Bennett had been feeding me were barely enough to keep me alive. Once I was done I toweled off and found clean clothes waiting for me in the bathroom. I noticed they were mine and not Bennett's. Part of me was dissapointed that I wouldn't have his scent to comfort me if he shoved me back in the basmenet, but I mentally reprimanded myself for my thoughts. I shouldn't want anything to do with these monsters, but my body was pushing me to crave them.

Bennett opened the door just as I finished dressing and pulled the sleeve of my shirt. I noticed he made effort not to touch my skin. He pulled me towards the basement again and I tried to tug away from him, not sure how much longer my sanity could hold out in the pitch dark.

"No Bennett! Please don't put me back down there. Please! I promise not to run again." I beg but he only gives me a hard look.

"Maybe you should have thought about that before you ran in the first place." He seethes through gritted teeth. His eyes begin to glow and I know his wolf is pressing forward. I couldn't see Rowan anywhere, not that he would help me if Bennett lost control, so I decided not to fight him.

He pulled me down into the dungeon and I couldn't stop my sob from breaking as my cell came into view. Bennett stopped walking and looked back at me, his eyes softening as tears streamed down my face.

"Rowan will be back in a few days. We'll decide what to do with you then." He says emotionless as he shoves me into the cell and locks the door behind him. He turns to walk away and I grip the metal bars.

"Please can you just... leave the light on for awhile longer. I can't s-stand the d-dark." I plead through my tears. Bennett doesn't look back at me, but nods curtly before walking up the stairs and slamming the door behind him.

I turn around and look at the familiar cell. There is fresh bedding on the cot, the bucket has been cleaned and food is waiting for me. I devour it quickly, my stomach protesting that it hasn't recieved enough. Bennett leaves the light on and when he comes back with lunch, there is a book on the tray. I watch him leave and scurry over to it. I eat quickly again and pick up the large novel, grateful to have something to do. I sit and read the book, cover to cover and set it on the tray. When Bennett comes back for dinner, he looks at the book with furrowed brows.

"Did you not want it?" He asks.

"I finished it." I say sadly, not looking at him.

"Already?" He inquires and I nod.

"Not much else to do." I say, a hint of sass in my tone. He grunts and replaces the tray with a fresh one before leaving.

When he comes back the next morning there is a small stack of books included with my breakfast. He doesn't speak again, but brings more when I finish some.

"Can't you just lock me in one of the spare bedrooms?" I inquire when he brings me another meal.

"You'd like that, wouldn't you?" He asks, venom dripping from his tone.

"More than this? Yes. In general? No. I'd still be a prisoner but at least I'd have a bathroom. I'm not a fucking animal!" I yell at him and he snarls at me.

"Stop being fucking dramatic. Rowan will be back tomorrow." He says before turning to leave.

"What's he going to do? Kill me? He should have done it when you found me. Would have saved you a lot of fucking trouble!" I yell at his retreating form. He growls loud enough to make the bars rattle and stalks back to my cell. I take a step back until the back of my knees hit my cot.

"You had better watch your fucking mouth, Claire. Or you may just get what you're asking for." He whispers lowly, frightening me more than if he yelled. His eyes aren't glowing, so I know it's truly Bennett behind the threat. He turns and walks away again.

"You know, I thought you wanted me to accept you. But every single thing you've done since I met you says the opposite." I murmur under my breath.

He halts his steps again and I watch his body go rigid, but he just stands there, breathing heavy before he huffs and mounts the stairs, slamming the door behind him.