Chapter 8

Claire

Luckily the car I stole is almost full of gas. I was grateful for that. I didn't have much money saved in my apartment and I wanted to get as far away from my mates as I could before having to stop. Hopefully I would have enough money to live on until I could find a new job and earn some more. I wasn't sure how far I would need to go before they wouldn't be able to find me. A small part of me was hopeful they wouldn't really try. Maybe Rowan could convince Bennett that they were better off without me. That I'm not worth the effort.

A girl can dream.

My eyes kept flitting to the rear view mirror, watching for any sign of life from the house. No lights turned on and there was no movement that I could see. No growls or roars either, which seemed like a good sign. I allowed myself a breath of relief and small smile as I cruised down the dark highway. I turned the lights on brighter when the house when no longer in view and even flipped on the radio. I hummed along to the familiar song, dancing a little in my seat and trying to decide what to do with my newfound freedom.

Buying a fucking apple was at the top of my priority list.

Once I had been driving for about half an hour, I felt myself begin to relax. My mind stopped reeling and I was able to enjoy the scenery, even if it was dark. Just being out of that house made me feel better, more alive. My mind was sharper and could focus, not flinching at every sound and movement.

After two hours I could see the lights from the city in the distance. I wanted to stop and see Lenny, see how he was doing, let him know that I'm ok. I wonder what he thinks happened to me. I had never missed a day of work and now I had gone missing, the handle of my apartment door broken open. I was sure he was worried, but I was too scared to stop and see him. My job and my apartment were probably the first places Rowan and Bennett would go looking for me.

I was pondering this when I heard a whooshing sound above me. I thought I saw movement, but when I looked up into the sky there was nothing. I felt my heart start to beat out of my chest, but tried to convince myself it was only paranoia.

I pushed my foot down on the gas a little harder, my hands tightening around the steering wheel. I tried to slow my rapid breathing and keep my heart rate under control. I turned down the music and looked in the rear view mirror. I didn't see anything and the panic started to ebb. I took a long glance behind me, watching for any sign of movement. When I was convinced I didn't see anything I turned back to the front.

Only to be confronted by the yellow eyes of a giant dragon.

"Fuck!" I scream, slamming my foot on the brake. Rowan puffs out air and I feel the temperature in the car begin to rise. My heart starts pounding again and I flip the car into reverse. I turn around and hit the gas, only to see two glowing green eyes and white snarling teeth. Bennett growls loudly, and I stop my backwards motion. I look to the front again and Rowan is standing directly in front of the car, his head lowered so he can peer in at me. I sigh heavily and put the car in park, turning off the engine knowing I'm well and truly trapped. I cross my arms over my chest and Rowan huffs again before his body begins to ripple, turning back into his human form. I consider starting the car and taking off again, but figure that would be pointless and would only piss them off even more.

Rowan doesn't look at me as he walks around to the back of the SUV naked and pulls open the lid of the trunk and slips on some spare clothes. He slams the door so hard the entire car shakes and I feel my body begin to tremble in fear.

At least if I die I went out swinging.

He rips the driver side door open and cuts through the seatbelt with an extended claw. He grips my bicep and pulls me roughly from the car. I try to hold in my cry of pain, but a small whimper still escapes. He opens the back door and stuffs me inside, closing the door on my ankle making me scream. I start to cry from the pain as he climbs into the front seat, slamming the door and turning the engine. He flips the car around and takes off down the highway, going much faster than the speed limit.

"Put on your seatbelt." He grumbles, still not looking at me. I make no move to follow his order and see his chest begin to light up, glowing a warm golden color.

"PUT ON YOUR FUCKING SEATBELT, HUMAN!" He screams and I flinch at how loud he is. I slip on the seatbelt and click it into place.

"Why don't you just kill me?" I question quietly. He smirks and huffs out a small laugh.

"And lose out on the fun we're about to have with you? Nah." He says cruelly and I gulp loudly as my heart begins to thunder again.

"You don't want me. Why not just let me go?" I ask and he growls before piercing me with his silver eyes.

"Because Bennett wants you. Well, he did. He's not too fond of you right now." He says, looking awfully pleased by this. "Learn your place. Your life will be much easier." He grunts and I can't help but roll my eyes.

"And what is my place, oh great Dragon King?" I ask sarcastically. He narrows his eyes on me and they glow a golden yellow with his anger.

"You are a pet. A useless waste of space. You are there for our pleasure, and nothing more. You hold no worth, no title and no importance. You live only for as long as we allow and only for the reasons we allow. You are here to make Bennett happy and to give me the heir I need. I do not care for you. I will never care for you. I will fuck you to get what I need and that is it. Do you understand?" He asks, and I can tell he means every word he says.

I nod, biting back tears. I'm not sure why his words bother me so much. I don't care for him either, but part of me wants him to accept me. To love me and cherish me. To be kind to me. At least if I am going to be trapped with them. It's obvious they have no intentions of letting me go.

"Aren't you going to ask how we found you?" He asks, obviously proud of himself. I shake my head and look out the window.

"I don't care." I tell him flatly and he growls a little again.

"Be wary of Bennett when we get back. His wolf was very upset by your little stunt." He says and I lean my forehead against the window.

"If I'm so unimportant, could you just stop talking to me?" I ask quietly and he grunts again.

"I'm trying to help you." He says and I shrug.

"I don't want your help. Let him kill me. I don't care." I say quietly, trying to stem my tears.

"There are worse things than death, little human." He says ominously. I ignore him and he doesn't speak again.

The time slips away and soon we are back at the house, the sun beginning to peek over the horizon. Rowan parks the car and gets out, but I stay seated hoping he'll just leave me. Instead he gets annoyed and rips me from the car and I hear an audible pop in my shoulder before I scream in agony. He rolls his eyes at me as I clench my teeth, trying to breathe. He pulls on my arm and I feel the joint slip back into the socket and I cry out again as he drags me into the house. Bennett is there, standing shirtless with his arms crossed over his chest and a firm look on his face.

"You set it up?" Rowan asks and Bennett nods before stepping forward and grabbing me from Rowan.

He starts towards the basement where I was kept when I first arrived. I shake my head and try to pull back away from Bennett.

"No. No, please, Bennett. Please don't I won't run again I promise." I beg, not wanting to be plunged into the darkness again.

"No. You won't run again. Because you won't have the chance." He says coldly, his green eyes flat and jaw clenched in anger. Tears stream down my face and Bennett smirks at them. He drags me down the stairs, my feet not cooperating and hitting every step painfully on the way down. He takes me to the furthest cell, like before, and throws me inside. There is at least a pillow and blanket on the cot this time.

"Make yourself comfortable. You'll be here for awhile." He says as the lock clicks.

"What about the bathroom?" I ask and he smiles cruelly at me.

"That's what the bucket's for."