Chapter 25

Rowan

I woke up early and flew home, anxious to see how things went last night. I tried not to tap into Bennett's feelings while he was having a private moment with Claire, but it was hard when he was basically broadcasting what he was doing.

I landed in the field by our house and saw Bennett bound out in nothing but a pair of shorts, his hair mussed and a smug grin on his face that makes me smile. He wraps his arms firmly around me and I kiss him deeply, grateful to be back with him.

"I missed you." I tell him and he looks at me a little surprised. I'm not usually so affectionate, but Claire must be softening me. I look behind him for her, but don't see her.

"Where's the little demon?" I ask and he smiles again.

"Inside. She's in a mood. I wanted to warn you." He says and I chuckle.

"What? She didn't have a good time last night?" I ask and Bennett scoffs.

"Of course she did. I made sure of it. I think it's the mark. She's displaying some... wolfish traits." He says and my eyebrows shoot up in surprise. I eye his second mark, the sight makes warmth flood through me and a little jealousy that I haven't been marked by her.

"What do you mean, wolfish traits?" I ask and he groans a little.

"Her temper is a little short. She growled at me for taking the last pancake." He says with a chuckle and I can't help but laugh.

"I bet her growl is fucking adorable." I say and he nods.

"It is. But don't tell her that. She'll bite you. I'm hoping her moods even out when you mark her. I think only being marked by one of us is throwing her off." He says and I hear the patter of her little feet behind us.

"Are you two talking about me as if I'm not here again?" She asks annoyed and Bennett gives me a knowing look.

"Just about how sweet that pussy tastes." I say with a wicked grin. Claire rolls her eyes and crosses her arms, but I don't miss the little grin on her face.

I hurry up the stairs and scoop her up in my arms, spinning her in a circle as she squeals. I tighten my arms around her and can already tell she's a little more solid, less fragile. I put her down and kiss her. She kisses me back eagerly, groaning into my mouth as I pull her close. When I pull away, her eyes are bright and full of joy. I look down at her neck, her mark nearly healed. The red crescent moon looks beautiful against her creamy skin. I can't wait for my mark, a flame, to grace the other side.

"I missed you, little demon." I say honestly and she smiles up at me.

"I missed you too, you obnoxious lizard." She says, her tone dripping with sass. I huff out a laugh and scoop her into my arms, looking back at Bennett so he follows us.

"Would you like to tell me what happened while I was gone?" I ask and Claire's face flames in a precious blush.

"I think you already know." She says, grabbing a piece of bacon and feeding it to me. The move makes my heart grow larger as I feel her burrow a little deeper into my soul. I smile and take a bite, sitting at the table with her on my lap.

"And did you enjoy yourself?" I inquire and she nods.

"I did. Bennett was perfect." She says with an adoring gaze over to Bennett. He watches her with obvious affection and the sight makes me happier than I thought possible.

"Good. I'm glad." I say, kissing her cheek. She smiles at me, throwing her long hair behind her shoulder, fanning her scent towards me. It seems stronger now, more enticing.