The Third Badge

You and Wattson were completely ready for this battle. So, knowing Wattson and his roll set of Electric-type pokemon, this would be a breeze. Especially since you had Sandshrew on your side. So, when Wattson threw out his leading Magnemite, you knew Sandshrew would be a perfect match-up. So, out he went. Wattson smiled and chuckled a little.

Wattson: Wise move, young lad. Although, I'm not sure he wants to fight either.

You cocked an eyebrow as you looked down and saw Sandshrew had curled back up into a ball and went to sleep. You blinked a little as you saw your pokemon not caring at all. You coughed a little to get Sandshrew's attention.

(Y/N): Hey! Sandshrew! Come on buddy.

Sandshrew curled back up into a ball and didn't care at all about the battle. Wattson laughed some more as you looked up and over to him.

Wattson: Worry not lad! I will provide some help with you here. Magnemite, use Sonic Boom!

(Y/N): Counter it with slash!

Sandshrew stayed in a curled-up state until Magnemite's attack nearly hit. Sandshrew rolled out of the way and ran up to attack with Swift. Sandshrew slammed its head down onto Magnemite and landed behind him. Sandshrew then used Sand Attack to blind the enemy. Sandshrew jumped up and used slash to further damage the pokemon.

Wattson: Sonic boom!

(Y/N): Go in for another slash!

Sandshrew leapt back and evaded the Sonic Boom and unleashed another sand attack. Magnemite was blinded a bit as Sandshrew leapt forward and swung again and attacked with a slash. Magnemite was sent into the ground as Sandshrew went in and attacked again, forcing the electric type to be knocked out.

(Y/N): Alright Sandshrew! There you go, buddy!

Wattson laughed some more as he went ahead and threw out Voltorb next. You sighed and got ready for another attack run.

Wattson: Now Voltorb! Roll out!

(Y/N): Dodge it and go in for sand attack!

Sandshrew grunted, almost understanding and listening to your orders. Sandshrew was able to dodge the Voltrob's attacks and get behind it. Another sand attack went out and was able to blind Voltorb again.

(Y/N): Go in and slash!

Wattson: Self-destruct!

Surely enough, Sandshrew got in a little too close and Voltorb blew up. Sandshrew lost a good amount go HP as Voltorb barely came back together. While the self-destruct did deal a good amount of damage, it wasn't enough to take down Sandshrew.

May: Come on you guys!

You blinked and slowly turned your head over to the stands and saw May cheering you on from afar.

May: I know you guys got this!

You slowly turned back to Sandshrew and smirked a little towards him.

(Y/N): Well buddy. You heard her! Let's do this thing!

Sandshrew grunted as he used sand attack again and charged forward with swift. Sandshrew got in as close as he could and slashed along the Voltorb's body. Finally, Voltorb was brought down to the ground. Sandshrew landed along the ground and hissed a little as Wattson chuckled some more. He threw out his final Pokemon, a Magneton.

Wattson: Supersonic!

Magneton released a major burst of noise as Sandshrew covered his ears. He stumbled back a little as Magneton unleashed a sonic boom and launched the pokemon back and knocked him out. You ran over to Sandshrew and knelt down beside him, petting him slightly. You sighed and smiled a bit as you collapsed Shrew back into his poke ball. You looked back to Wattson and threw out Dusclops.

Wattson: Fascinating. And fun! Shall we lad?

(Y/N): Night shade!

Wattson: Shock wave!

Both pokemon charged into battle and clashed with one another. In a swift blow, Night shade was able to land a blow and send Magneton flying back, but still got clipped by a shockwave. Dusclops rolled along the ground but got back up quickly.

(Y/N): Astonish!

Wattson: Shock wave again!

Like before, both pokemon charged in and attacked one another. And the clash resulted in a massive explosion. You blinked a little as the smoke cleared. On the ground, both pokemon were completely knocked out. You sighed a little, slowly calming your nerves. Wattson laughed and clapped his hands.

Wattson: Well done my lad! Well done! You should be proud.

You smiled and nodded towards Wattson. You brought Dusclops back and looked up at May. You smiled at her and shook Wattson's hand in respect. As you walked out and saw May, you stopped her and pecked her cheek, getting her to blush as well.

(Y/N): For luck.

May smiled a bit as you both walked away. Once she was out of sight, you took a massive breath and your face flushed solid red. You panted a little but shook your head and regained some focus. May's battle was similar to yours. Her Trapinch was able to deal some serious damage with Sand attack and faint attack, allowing herself to take on Magnemite with ease. Once Voltorb came out, things were just as easy.

Rollout and self-destruct could be rendered as a massive deal breaker, but May was able to play her cards right and use sand tomb and crunch to end off Voltorb's attacks. So, that was taken down more than anything else. And once Magneton came out, it was about over. So, a sonic boom did nothing as Trapinch was able to evade it and continue to go on the offensive.

And so, May was able to win the battle with Trapinch alone and boy was she excited as hell. She was jumping up and down a little as her excitement shot up through the roof. You had entered the arena as May received the badge. So, you both were finished with the third badge as you both walked out of the gym. However, given what had happened before the battles, you stopped her a little before she could really get going.

May: What is it?

(Y/N): Can we talk for a moment?

May: Uh...sure. What is it?

(Y/N): Before the battles...what was that?

May: Oh...that stuff. Yeah...uh...

You both were silent. You didn't have a single clue on where the hell to go with this. May sighed a little as she walked up to you and placed a hand on your shoulder. You both lock eyes with one another and you guys just didn't know what else to say here. It was just....silent. May looked at you again after she glanced around a lot. Finally, she looked back up at you and you both did the only thing you could think of.

You both leaned in and kissed one another. It wasn't a passionate one. But it was still nice. You both pulled back after a few seconds and looked at one another. You both didn't know what else to say. You both glanced around a lot, blushes on your faces. It was something new. Hell, you had no idea how these feelings and thoughts hit you but...it was nice. And seeing that she returned them was also sweet.

May slowly looked back at you and you both just stood there in silence. Neither of you had any idea what to do directly. That was until you sighed and took in a deep breath and released it back out.

(Y/N): I...I...er...what I'm trying to say is that...it was nice. And I liked it. And I like you...a lot. And I-

May: I know. I do too.

You were a bit taken aback. And she blushed again with you. There was nothing you two could say. You both just hugged one another and slowly backed away from one another.

(Y/N): Want to try it?

May: Yeah. Yeah, I do.

You smiled at her as May smiled back. She grabbed your hand and walked up towards Route 111. You guys knew exactly where to go and what to do. Now the only question was...will it be worth it in the end.