Arrival

You were just about to arrive at Rustboro, still slightly amazed that May landed herself another pokemon before you ever did. However, she wasn't rubbing it in at all. In fact, you were the one sulking because of this development, not her. And as you two were about to arrive in Rustboro, May ran up in front of you and blocked your path. You cocked an eyebrow as you looked at her with Torchic on her shoulder.

May: You've been gloomy all day today. Is this because of Wingull?

(Y/N): What? No. Why would I be upset over that?

May placed her hand on your chest and stopped you from walking. You looked at her, confused. She raised an eyebrow, clearly calling out your bluff. You sighed a little as you looked back at May.

(Y/N): I'm a little petty as I wanted to be the first to nab another pokemon.

May: Well...I'm sorry. Really. But this is just the way things go sometimes. So...yeah. That's all I can say here.

(Y/N): Yeah. Well, let's go ahead and win this one. Then we can finish this later on.

May: Deal. Come on.

May began to run towards the city as you gave chase behind her. Yeah sure, you still wanted to be first. You wanted to be the best after all. And by surpassing your best friend was required...no. That wouldn't be necessary. You two entered the industrial heartland of Hoenn and made your way into the gym. Once you two walked in, you saw Roxanne waiting by the doors to the arena with her Geodude beside her.

She looked up and smiled at you both as you walked into the room. She stepped up and bowed slightly.

Roxanne: Welcome trainers. My name is Roxanne, protector of the Stone Badge. I take it one or both of you are here to challenge me.

(Y/N): That is correct.

Roxanne: Very well the trainers. Who would like to face me first?

May looked at you and nodded. You nodded back slightly towards her and stepped forward and bowed slightly.

(Y/N): I am.

Roxanne: Then shall we?

You nodded as you both walked into the arena. May ran up into the stands to watch with you. You tossed out Mudkip, nervous to say the least. Your superior speed granted you an advantage as did your type. You looked at Roxanne who nodded back to you.

Roxanne: Geodude, Rockthrow!

(Y/N): Mudkip, you know what to do!

Mudkip nodded and quickly dashed forward. Geodude grabbed some of the ground and chucked it towards you. Mudkip dipped forward and rolled, launching a water gun directly into Geodude's face. Geodude barely dodged it but the gun grazed Geodude a little. Mudkip landed on his feet and blasted Geodude in the face with a second water gun. In doing so, the rock type went under, being completely knocked out. You smirked as Mudkip ran back over to your side of the arena as Roxanne threw out her Nosepass.

Roxanne: Not bad. Excellent work. But now it is time for war. Nosepass, Rock Tomb then throw!

(Y/N): Dodge it and use tackle to get up close!

Nosepass stomped onto the ground as two massive pillars moved upwards around Mudkip. Mudkip quickly jumped up onto some of the rocks and escaped the tomb as Nosepass threw out some stones. Mudkip leapt from the tomb and up onto one of the rocks and launched a beam of water directly down onto Nosepass. Nosepass took the hit as Mudkip's tackle landed onto the Pokemon's massive nose.

Mudkip turned back around and look towards you.

(Y/N): Mudslap!

Mudkip slapped his tail down onto the ground and got a massive hunk of mud from it and flung it towards Nosepass. Nosepass stepped out of the way quickly to avoid the attack.