Lumberjacket

PRESENT

PRESENT

Daehyun looked at Taehyung, then at Jimin and then back at Taehyung. It was clear he couldn't connect the dots. His hands, which were on the table, were drawn towards himself. A sign of defensiveness, Taehyung noted.

'Sorry, I don't think I've seen or met you before,' Daehyun said. He threw another inquiring glance at Jimin, hoping he would introduce the person. He understood he knew him.

'I'm sorry but we;' Taehyung gestured towards Jimin and said,
'had to do this. I'm not here to harm you in any way.'

'What is this about?'

'Yoongi. You know anyone by that name?' Taehyung came straight to the point.

He looked at Taehyung for a few seconds and then nodded,
'No I don't know anybody by that name.'

Taehyung rolled his eyes. He was hoping Daehyun would be a gentleman and at least acknowledge him, if not their affair.

'I'm outside. Smoking,' Jimin said and left. That was part of their deal. He had told Taehyung that once he met Taehyung, he would leave them alone. He didn't want to be a part of a conversation around a story he didn't even know. Taehyung had agreed.

After Jimin left, Daehyun too stood up and asked the waiter to get the bill. Taehyung didn't move. After a few seconds, he said, 'I would have tried to know why I was here if I were you. Maybe I know things about Yoongi and you.'

Daehyun stared at Taehyung.

'Things which will remain with me and not go to your real wife if you cooperate here.' His voice was cold and authoritative. It was the same voice he used with his team members when they screwed up.

Daehyun understood that the man had done his homework. He slowly sat back down. And with that Taehyung knew he had him. Now he would at least listen and, if pushed enough, might speak as well. The waiter came and put the bill on the table. Daehyun didn't touch it.

'What I already know is that Yoongi and you were having an affair. And that flat you had rented in DFL Enclave was your love nest. Am I right?'

Daehyun looked around and then nodded.

'But you guys pretended to be married and that's what you told everyone in the colony?'

Daehyun nodded again.

'All I want to know is what happened to Yoongi? He didn't die of an illness like you told everyone in the colony before packing your bags from there.'

'Before I speak, I need to know if you are a cop or Yoongi's husband,' Daehyun said. His hands were back on the table, his fingers clammy with nervousness.

'Neither. You don't have to know anything except I'm harmless if you tell me whatever you know about him. You can also choose to walk away from here without telling me anything. But then the screenshots of the messages you exchanged with the man waiting for me outside would duly reach your wife.'