Gym

PRESENT

Jungkook had already paid for the meal and was waiting when Taehyung returned to the café.

'I'm really sorry,' he said.

'It's okay. I understand, work is important,' he said. Taehyung's guilt made him say, 'I am done with work for the day. I will go to office only after you have left. Let's go and shop now?'

'Shop?' Jungkook was taken aback. He held Taehyung by his chin and turned his face around.

'My husband of eight years who hates even entering stores wants to shop?'

Taehyung looked at him guiltily. The shopping part was because of Yoongi. He'd met him so many times during his shopping sprees that it had become a habit.

'So what?' Taehyung asked. 'You need such surprises to keep an eight-year-long marriage going.'

'I'm impressed. But sweetheart, I don't think the stores would be open right now,' he said, glancing at his watch, and then added, 'Let's go home, shower and come out again with my luggage.'

That sounded more practical. 'And then we shop till I see you off?' Taehyung asked.

'Sure.'

Once home, Jungkook headed straight for a shower, while Taehyung made an excuse and went to the other wing where Yoongi had lived with the guy he'd tracked to another gated community, whose name was apparently Daehyun. The old nameplate was still there.

'Sir, are you looking for someone?' The guard asked.

'This is Mr Jung and Mr....' Taehyung started but was cut short.

'He doesn't live here. He lives in London,' the guard said.

'Then who was living here till now? There was a death...' Before Taehyung could finish, the guard spoke again.

'Yes, a couple was living here on rent. The man died.'

'The Sangs?' Taehyung asked. The guard seemed confused. Just then, Taehyung's phone rang. It was Jungkook.

'Where are you?' he asked.

'Coming right up!' Taehyung said and left. The guard was still lost in thought.

When Jungkook opened the door, Taehyung said, 'I thought I would get a haircut but there was such a long queue.'

Jungkook rolled his eyes before going to the bedroom to get ready. Within the hour, they left with Jungkook's luggage.

They went to a couple of malls from where Jungkook not only shopped for himself but also for him. Taehung noticed how similar Jungkook and Yoongi's choices were, Yoongi and him only bought black, dark black, grey, light grey and dusty white. Why was he comparing them? They were different people with same preferences.

After seeing Jungkook off at the airport, Taehyung headed to his office. After he had settled down with a cup of black coffee, he checked Yoongi's Instagram profile. Maybe it was a coincidence. Perhaps this painting was displayed in more than one place. It was possible. But then, Daehyun and Yoongi had clearly known each other, so there was a possibility that the painting in his photo was the same one he had spotted in his house. Moreover, if Sukesh was his husband then what was he doing at that other flat? The kid had clearly told him he was his father. Why was he living in a rented apartment with Yoongi? The questions made him realize something. The name on his Instagram profile was just Yoongi. There was no surname. And going by what the security guard had told him, he wasn't Mr Daehyun—the London-based landlord's wife. But why had he introduced himself as as Jung Min Yoongi then? Or had he thought he would harm him in some way and that's why he hid her real identity? There were just too many questions, and the obvious answers unsettled him because somewhere they hinted that he had been fooled. But he wanted to be totally sure before forming an opinion about Yoongi.

The fourth Instagram post was a video of him doing squats in a gym. Taehyung didn't remember him telling him about joining a gym. The story which he'd posted once, which had led to their sexting, had been shot at home. But by now he had an inkling that Yoongi hadn't been completely honest with him. The post mentioned the Anytime Fitness. He tapped on it and Google Maps located it for him. If someone lived on Park Road, why would they gym in an area so far away from them? It made absolutely no sense.

In the evening, before going home, Taehyung drove to Anytime Fitness. It wasn't about things in Yoongi's story not adding up any more. It was about who Yoongi really was. And why he had fooled him, if at all. He pursed his mouth into a smirk, thinking that he didn't even know the man he had fallen madly in love with, for whom he had been ready to leave his husband.

Taehyung was stopped at the reception of the gym. The woman behind the desk asked him if he wanted to join. Taehyung nodded. He was about to speak when someone called out to him from behind. It was Jimin.

The ones you want to avoid always appear in places where you don't want them to be. If that wasn't one of Murphy's Laws then it should be, Taehyung thought.

'Hey! What a surprise to see you here,' he said. Taehyung wasn't ready for him. His reluctance was probably evident in his demeanour because he added, 'Chill, I'm not following you. I'm not a freak.'

'Nothing like that. I just didn't expect you here,' he said.

'Nor did I. Are you here to sign up? Though it doesn't seen like you need it.'

He never lets go of a chance to objectify me, Taehyung thought. From the corner of his eye, he noticed that the receptionist was waiting.

'Excuse me,' he told her and turned to Jimin again, 'Can we talk for two minutes?'

'Of course,' Jimin said excitedly. He'd been waiting for this moment, for Taehyung to talk to him outside work, ever since he had joined the company a year ago.

'I'll be straight. I didn't come here to sign up.'

'Oh, then?'

'My husband wanted to know if someone by the name of Yoongi ever came to this gym.'

Jimin frowned.

'Something to do with his NGO. You know he works for an NGO, right?' Taehyung clarified.

'No, I didn't. It's nice to know that. But what exactly do you want?' Jimin asked.

'Could you please see if the gym has any record of a Yoongi signing up? They won't let me see it. I know they may not allow you too but ...'

'They will. The owner is a friend of my ex-husband. What did you say his name was?'

Taehyung quickly looked into his phone and showed Jimin a picture, saying, 'Yoongi. I'm not sure of his surname.'

'All right, give me a moment,' Jimin said.

'I can't thank you enough.'

'You can thank me by taking me out for dinner,' Jimin beamed. Taehyung responded with a tight smile.

Jimin went in, while he stood where he was. He saw Jimin talk to the receptionist and then go behind the desk and type something into the computer. A moment later, he looked up and said, 'Can you please come here?'

As soon as Taehyung joined him, Jimin pointed at a profile on the screen that was sandwiched between a few others. There were three Yoongis in all. The one Jimin was pointing at was his Yoongi all right. Taehyung carefully read his full name: Choi Yoongi. But his address didn't say Park Road. Taehyung couldn't help but think: Did he know anything about this man named Yoongi with whom he had wanted to disappear and start a new life?

•••

Please leave a vote. I was on the verge of sleeping when I posted it so excuse the typos if you see any!🦋