Chapter Twenty

"It smells like sex in here..." Barrett slams open their bedroom door. Forcing both women to wake up to the sounds of the chirping birds outside and the loud movements from their roommate. The morning sun just starting to rise from the white clouds. Alcohol lining the curly-haired woman's breathe. Strong scents of vodka and tequila.

"Have you only just got home?" Stefania sits up, rubbing her eyes to adjust to the early morning light. Smudging the excess mascara off her eyelids. Carefully removing her arm around her girlfriends toned waist.

"Yes!" Barrett replies in an octave higher; swaying in the doorframe with a pair of black heels in her hands. "It was so much fun! You guys missed out... but from what I can gather in here... maybe you didn't." She catches a glimpse of the vibrator on the bedside table, smirking while turning round and heading into the kitchen to pour herself some cold water. A very large glass of water in hopes to rid the possibly hangover. Hair of the dog was always an option though.

Barrett had definitely gotten used to their regular sleepovers by now. She had invested in some earplugs for occasions where she wasn't staying round her boyfriends place and the blonde was visiting theirs. Sometimes she would even listen to podcasts or heavy metal to drown the sounds out. The walls weren't even that thin, but they made it seem like it.

"How do you feel this morning?" Stefania turns to face her sleepy partner. Draping an arm over her bare side, lifting a finger up and down the small of her back. Goosebumps raising in response to the delicate touch. Danielle loved being as close as possible to her girlfriend; it always comforted her.

"After last night— amazing." Danielle breathes effortlessly into the nook of Stefania's shoulder; embracing her girlfriend in a generous and warm hug. "I love you,"

"I don't think I could ever get tired of hearing that," Stefania smiles, inhaling the sweet scents of her strawberry flavoured hair, "I love you, Bella," Whispering sweets nothings into each other's ears.

Both women lay in bed for a while longer. Listening to the calls of the morning: car engine passing by and the birds chattering away in the trees. Sunshine seeping through the curtains and highlighting the room a golden shade. It was perfect: the two of them together in a sweet bliss.

Eventually they rise from the bed and meet Barrett in the kitchen, pouring themselves a batch of strong coffee for the three of them. The curly-haired woman sobering up from her long night out in the town. How was she not passed out yet? Veering on delirium as her eyelids remain heavy and her speech slightly slurred.

"So, you know Sarah from last night?" Danielle starts, the piping hot coffee burning the tips of her fingers as she sets it down on the woven coasters on the coffee table in the living room.

"Yes, of course, she is one of my closest friends..." Stefania replies curiously, taking a bite from one of the warm croissants she had just heated up in the oven. Freshly made pastries were always one of her favourite things in the world.

"Well... maybe she isn't a friend you want to have..." Danielle explains slowly, lifting her chin up to meet those brown eyes. Barrett trying to pry her eyes open to listen to the conversation in the corner of the room, slouched down into the velvet armchair. A hand underneath her chin to help her stay up right and awake. "I think she might be out to get the lead role for the play..."

"You know— I always did think there was something sus about that girl," Barrett chimes in before closing her eyes again, rubbing her temples as the light shines through into the living room and onto her face.

"Hmm— well, thank you for letting me know. I will keep an eye out for any suspicious behaviour. She was acting odd last night when I spoke to her briefly... I will have to see for myself..." Stefania finishes her cup of coffee before heading into her room in an abrupt manner to freshen up. Usually she would invite the blonde to join her, but this time she didn't. Deciding it was best to be alone to process the new-found information.