Chapter Two

Stefania had barely moved from the waiting room chair of the hospital, drifting in and out of a restless sleep. Watching people come and go as doctors and nurses travel the halls of the wards, clipboards in their hands, stethoscopes around their necks. The last update she had from the nurses was that the blonde was in surgery to stop a brain bleed as well as mending a broken bone in her arm. It was almost 4:30am now. Danielle had been in surgery for four hours so far and it is looking likely to be a couple more. The brunette shifted in her seat once more, tucking her legs under arms, generating body heat, pulling out her phone to inform her roommate on her whereabouts.

Stefania: Hi Barrett, so I am currently in hospital... witnessed a car crash last night and decided to stay with the woman who I found unconscious. Will hopefully be home soon.

Slipping her phone back into her handbag knowing that she won't get any response any time soon, plus her battery was running on near enough empty. The Italian stands up from the plastic chair, stretching her cramping arms out, walking down to the coffee machine. Pressing the buttons in an obvious haze, smelling the beautiful liquid as it pours into a medium paper cup. Adding sugar and cocoa powder to the warm concoction. Energising her brain as the coffee fuels her body - fighting against the need to go back to sleep.

Walking up to the reception desk, tapping her manicured fingers on the counter, eagerly waiting for the attention of the lady behind the computer screen. A fake, plastic rose sitting beside the monitor, looking sorry for itself. Finally, the receptionist looks down the black lenses of her oval-shaped glasses. "How can I help you?"

"Is there any update on the girl who came in from the car crash a few hours ago? Stefania grumbles through the fogginess of her fatigued brain, "Have they found her phone to contact a family member?" 

"As far as I am aware, she is still in surgery. Also, she never came in with any of her belongings. They must have been in the vehicle." She replies with a dead-tone to her voice, flicking a strand of her grey hair away from her boring blue eyes, "I am sorry. I wish I could give you more helpful information but we should have an update for you soon."

Stefania nods her head in response to the receptionist, slowly wondering back to her lonely chair. Cupping the coffee in her petite hands. Sighing as she sits back down. Noticing the local news playing on the broken television cooped in the corner of the room, hanging from the ceiling. Zooming in on the scene from earlier, crushed bits of scrap metal and debris covering the roads. Car slammed into the side of the lorry. Merda, she thought to herself. Not realising the initial damage of the cars. It all happened so quickly.

Her little yellow car had been moved to the hard shoulder, taking a mental note in her head on the precise destination, so she could retrieve it later. Thankfully, the brunette didn't have any major plans for the rest of the day as most of her rehearsals and showtimes were during the evenings and fell into the nights.

Sleep soon found the Italian again. Bones aching in the uncomfortable position she rests in, yet she knew she couldn't be the one to complain when there were people in this hospital in a lot worse conditions than herself.

Vibrations and a high-pitched ping from her phone woke her up from her dazed sleep. Rubbing the tiredness away from her eyes and reaching for her phone once again.

Barrett: Sounds like you had a crazy night! Keep me posted.

It's currently 7am. Noise and movements begin to echo through the corridors as the sun breaks through the grey clouds. Beams of refreshing sunlight shining on her sun-kissed skin. Two doctors open the doors of the waiting room, scanning the room for the brunette. Greeting her with a small and soft smile.

"Danielle is out of surgery and conscious," The male doctors smiles, stuffing one hand into his pocket. Danielle, she thought, what a gorgeous name. "Would you like to see her?" Signalling with his other arm to follow him. Agreeing to his question, she follows him down the saline scented corridors. Clean and bleached, pale blue walls in the shape of a maze. She couldn't quite believe that she was about to meet a stranger; weighing up the options on what to say to the blonde. Although, It felt like she had known her for a lifetime.

A glass wall separates the brunette and the blonde, as the doctors resume their busy schedule of checking in with their morning patients. Stefania inhales slowly before opening the door. Glancing at the peaceful, sleeping girl laying perfectly in the hospital bed. Wires attached to her body, tangled in the blanket covering her body. Various pitches of beeps filling the void of white noise. The Italian takes the cushioned chair next to her bed, it was definitely an upgrade to the plastic chairs outside. Noticing every detail on the blondes face, reaching for her warm hand, delicately holding it in her own, afraid she might wake Danielle up with any small moment, like a doll in a china shop.

"I am so glad that you are okay," Stefania whispers, brushing the baby blonde hairs away from her closed eyes. Tiredness evident. Stroking her forehead gently. She felt such a strong connection between them, but maybe she was idolising the idea of fate and love at first sight. A single twitch of the blondes finger startles the Italian, eyes widening in response, resting back into the comfy chair, concentrating on her every movements.

"Hi... umm, you probably don't know who I am... so this is weird to you," Stefania nervously laughs, twirling a strand of hair between her fingers. The blonde flicks her eyes open, remaining drowsy from the surgery. "My name is..."

"Stefania, right?" Danielle coughs, clearing her sore throat, interrupting the brunette mid-sentence. "You - you save me..."

"Yes I- uh, so you remember?"

"Your voice, I heard you," Danielle closes her eyes again, struggling to keep them open, "I couldn't forget your accent," She squeezes the hand of the Italian in the same way that she squeezed hers in the car. The blonde falls back into a comfortable sleep, giving in to the inevitable tiredness, resting her fatigued body. She had been through so much in such a short space of time.

A nurse cracks open the door, holding a tray with some sandwiches placed on them, serving them onto the table. "For you, and when she's ready to eat something," The nurse looks towards the patient. Stefania thanks her. The nurse hops around to the beeping machines; double checking everything is in order: reading her pulse, blood pressure and oxygen levels. Grinning as she jots down the number in her tablet. Everything looks steady.

Stefania updated Barrett on the situation, letting her know that she won't be home till the late afternoon now as the blondes recovery has progressed. The Italian places her phone back onto the nearby table, closing her eyes and falling back into a much-needed slumber.

"You know, you look very pretty when you're sleeping," Danielle cracks a smile, chewing on a piece of bread, set up in her bed comfortably. Stefania blinks a few times to adjust to the mid-afternoon brightness of the room. Patiently waiting for the brunette to fully wake up.

"Hah! That must be the drugs talking," Stefania returns the adoring smile, pausing for a moment, checking that she's not dreaming. "This must be strange for you. I am sorry. I didn't want to leave you alone until I knew you were safe,"

Danielle tears up from the thoughtfulness the stranger offers her. "Thank you," She speaks softly, her throat sounding much better. "It was nice actually, for someone to be here. So, it's nice to meet you. My name is Danielle," Outstretching her working arm over to the brunette, grabbing and shaking it gently. Wiping the tears from her face afterwards.

"Nice to meet you, too," Stefania says, "Do you have anyone I can contact for you?"

"Actually no, my family is in the States. But could I borrow your phone to text them?" Danielle questions, staring into her hazel eyes.

"I knew I wasn't the only one with an accent." Stefania jokes, her smile infecting Danielle, offering her smartphone to the blonde. "Of course, here you go."

-

Okay so the second chapter is finished, I have a few ideas on where I want this story to go so I am super excited to write more. I hope you have enjoyed this chapter. More to come! Stay tuned, please like and comment. It's much appreciated.

You Saved Me - A Stefanielle Storyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें