Chapter Sixteen

Danielle glances at herself in the mirror. Sweat rolling down her forehead, staining strands of hair as it begins to soak through her gym-wear. The place was very quiet. Nearing around midnight as the surroundings had pretty much emptied out. Not a single person in sight. She had missed the gym so much since the accident. There was something about the peace and silence of the gym around this time of night. It was like a form of meditation to her. Enabling her to find clarity. It was a destination she would go to feel safe. Like a second home.

When the blonde was younger she would spend a ridiculous amount of time exercising. Most of her friendships were even made in the leisure centre. Her first boyfriend in particular; he was a personal trainer at her local gym. Although, their relationship didn't last long as they were far too similar for one another. Always trying to one up each other and be the best, like a competition between the two of them. It became toxic very quickly. Since then, she had vowed to never date a gym-addict again, and kept herself to herself when working out.

Tonight she recognised that she couldn't work out excessively due to her healing arm. Instead, she found herself on the treadmill, warming up her muscles and timing her single runs. Feeling that fire she had missed so much in the pit of her stomach. The drive to achieve and push the limits. Understandably, her timings were some of the worst she had seen in a long time. Learning to forgive herself each step of the way as she knew she had to start somewhere again. Also, knowing she would get back to where she was previously in no time.

About thirty minutes later, the blonde starts her warm downs: stretching the muscles in her legs and rotating her arms in small circles. Staying hydrated with a litre bottle of flavoured water. Next, she hits the gym showers, stripping away her damp clothing and turning on the water. Usually she would just shower at home but since the gym was empty...

Trickles of water cascading down her spine, as she wets her hair underneath the scorching water. Attempting to find a suitable temperature with the nozzle. Feeling her muscles ache with the warmth connecting to her skin. Suddenly feeling rather alone in this shower and missing her Italian girlfriend. Danielle wasn't even sure if she was awake right now - but she settles on sending her a quick text message anyway.

Reaching for her phone tucked away underneath her woolly towel in the corner of the cubicle. Stepping out of the water for a few seconds and drying her soft hands, feeling goosebumps rise on her skin.

Danielle: Missing you. Wish you were here right now...

Hitting send on her messages app. Quickly attaching a selfie of herself underneath the shower. Featuring her drenched, blonde hair and naked upper body. Pouting her lips while her eyes are filled with desire. The familiar ocean blues searching for lust.

Danielle wasn't expecting a response until the morning she she steps back underneath the shower again. Grabbing the bottle of shampoo and massaging her scalp with the fruity scents. Rinsing her hair cleans after waiting a few minutes for the shampoo to settle in. Distracted by her own thoughts, imagining her girlfriend in this shower next to her, pushed up against the cold wall while attacking her neck with rough kisses. Feeling arousal starting to form between her legs just from the thoughts alone...

Vibrations from her phone causing herself to drift back into reality sharpish. She steps out of the shower again to witness that her phone was lighting up. Stefania wants to video call. Oh, does she now?

Swiping the accept button with her slightly wet finger. Lowering her voice, even though the blonde was definitely sure she was the only one currently present in the building.