Longing (Playcheese)

Note: this is romantic Playcheese. Because Playcheese is good.  And this gets pretty romantic.

Mr Cheese curled up in storage. He felt pathetic, crying even as he tried to stop. But he couldn't not- he felt awful. He *was* awful. Everyone knew it.

He wished he could close his eyes and disappear. He could try, at least, to feel like he was for a little while.

He shut his eyes tightly, ignoring the bitter salt on his eyelids. And for a moment, he truly believed he was invisible. Until he heard a very familiar voice.

He opened his eyes, seeing Player standing in the doorway. He blinked repeatedly as his eyes adjusted to the light Player had let in.

The light framed Player's face, and his eyes sparkled. Mr Cheese felt breathless for a moment, until he realized where and what he was doing, and he noticed the look in Player's eyes: worried.

"Mr Cheese?" Player repeated.

"What, dude?" Mr Cheese tried to sound irritated, but he didn't. He couldn't. He was embarrassed, but he was glad someone was here.

"I heard you crying outside. You okay?"

Mr Cheese's heart skipped a beat at the thought of Player hearing him and coming in. And another beat at the thought of someone else hearing him and not coming in.

"Yes," Mr Cheese stated, trying to suppress a sniffle.

"You're clearly upset..." Player said, coming a bit closer.

"Ya, and if you want to rub it in my face, leave.  Whatever insult you wanna call me, I'm already calling myself it, so bye."

Player looked taken aback.  "Huh?"

"I know you want to..." Mr Cheese mumbled.  "It's not like we get along."

"I wouldn't make fun of you for crying."

"Why not?" Mr Cheese looked at Player.  "I'm a jerk to you.  I call you a loser all the time.  Why would you not take this opportunity to let me know I'm the real unlovable loser?"

"Because I don't think that about you," Mr Cheese couldn't see Player's face as he said this.  "And you're not a loser for crying."

"Then why do I feel like a loser?" Mr Cheese asked.  There was a pause, and Player's footsteps filled the silence as he went and sat down next to Mr Cheese.

"Sometimes our brains lie to us," Player shrugged.  "You're not a loser."

Mr Cheese chuckled a bit.  "I feel like shit."

Player looked at Mr Cheese sympathetically. 

Player's presence, and silence, made the words spill out of Mr Cheese.  "I fucking hate myself, Player."

"Me too," Player whispered.  "I hate myself too."

Mr Cheese looked up.  "You do?"

Player sighed.  "Ya."

Mr Cheese waited a moment before looking away.  "I'm sorry."