Old Game

Note: I hc Veteran and Angel as siblings.

Angel knocked on her brothers door softly.  She stood off and on her toes in excitement.  She hadn't worked on her outfit much that day, like usual, just wearing jeans, flip flops, and an old spongebob t-shirt.

Veteran opened the door and hugged her into a tight bear hug.  Angel giggled, and he sat her down with a chuckle.

"Did you find it?" Angel asked him, eyes shining.  Veteran had texted her to come over, but she didn't know why- even though, she couldn't think what it would be, other than what her and Veteran had been looking for for months- a stupid game that they played in their childhood, that they assumed had been lost to time.

"Mm-hmm!" Veteran nodded.  "Obviously, it's a physical copy- but that makes it even more special.

"Definitely!" Angel nodded.  She walked in and eyed the mess that was practically constant in her brother's house.  It reminded her of her childhood; it felt like home.

They walked downstairs, where Veteran would usually play his games. Angel sat down on a fluffy chair.

Veteran popped the game in and sat down with a sigh. He handed her a controller.

"Oh God, the graphics" Angel remarked as they got the game up.

"It feels like it looked so much better when we were kids," Veteran agreed. "But... it really does look the same."

Angel shook her head in disbelief and giggled. "Wait- why can't I jump?"

"You can't!" Veteran said. "You can't jump on this game."

Angel gasped. "You can't even jump? Why? That would be so obvious for this game!"

Veteran laughed. "I know, right?"

Angel finished running through a level, and a congratulatory tune started playing. Angel gasped again. "I forgot about that..."

"Me too," Veteran said, eyes wide. "God. I can smell it..."

Angel looked over at her brother and blinked. "What? Smell it?"

"Ya dude!" Veteran nodded excitedly. "It's so nostalgic, I can smell it."

Angel giggled and skipped a few levels. "This game is so easy!"

"It was hard when you were younger," Veteran reminded her gleefully. "I was the one who was good at it."

Angel mimicked a motion of throwing something at him. "You're an asshole."

"No you," Veteran grinned. "Oh but, do you want some snacks or something?"

"Water!" Angel asked for simply. Veteran looked at her.

"You come to my house to play video games and ask for water?" Veteran chuckled. "Okay then."

"Yes," Angel said innocently. Veteran threw a pillow at her and went to his mini fridge to get a water and a soda. He also grabbed a couple bags of chips that were next to the fridge.

"Can I have a bag?" Angel asked, eyes on the screen.

"Course," Veteran says, throwing her some Cheetos. He opened the bag of Doritos for himself with a pop.

They continued to eat and play for some time, interjecting the gameplay with jokes and remarks on the game.

"I can't believe you finally found it..." Angel said after a while, a sense of awe in her voice. "Everything is coming back to me."

"Right?" Veteran said, a similar tone in his voice. "I haven't heard the songs in years, but know I could probably hum them perfectly..."

"I wonder if anyone else would remember this game somehow?" Angel looked to Veteran. "Before I brought it up to you again a year ago, I was convinced I had made it up."

"I don't know if anyone would. Probably not," Veteran answered. "It's our special game."

Angel smiled. "Ya! Definitely!"

Veteran chuckled. He finished a level and another jingle played. "The music design is actually good."

"It is!" Angel said. She paid extra attention to it for a second. "I should get inspiration for my next song for this..."

"Typical of an old video game to just have an absolutely banging sound track," Veteran remarked happily.

Angel giggled. "Definitely."

The game shows Veteran a close up of their character, and they both crack up.

"Peak male performance," Veteran grinned widely. "All 4 pixels."

"Absolutely," Angel agreed.

They continued until both their cheeks hurt from smiling, and Angel's hands hurt from playing- Veteran was more used to it.

"Hey, man, I should get going," Angel said. "It's been a while."

"Ya you're right," Veteran sighed. "I'd never have expected to be able to play this for so long."

Angel laughed. "True."

Veteran walked upstairs with her, and hugged her goodbye when they got to the door.

"Bye!" Angel said lightly. "I'm really glad you found that, I had fun."

"Same!" Veteran smiled. "Bye!"

Angel turned around and left, waving right before she got in the car.

Veteran waved back in from a window inside his house, and Angel drove off, turning on the radio.