Mutual (platonic Eggcheese)

Note: This is platonic eggcheese, even though I definitely can see if you decide to read this as a beginning of a romance.  There is gentlecheese in this, however. 

Mr Cheese tapped his fingers repeatedly on his leg, anxious. He kept looking towards the door.

"Why is Mr Egg taking so long? Thought someone like him would be on time," Mr Cheese asks in an annoyed tone.

"It's ten minutes before you said to come," TheGentleman gently reminded him.

"You can't tell me he isn't the type of person to come 30 minutes early," Mr Cheese said. He was secretly very worried that Mr Egg had decided not to come.

The two hadn't exactly completely became friends, but they had decided to stop fighting and realized they had a lot in common, including, somehow, their favorite restaurant. They decided to go together one day, and after a while of putting it off, they had finally decided on today.

They both wanted TheGentleman to come, Mr Cheese begging him too. But TheGentleman refused, half because he would be busy and half because he wanted them to be comfortable with each other on their own.

Finally the doorbell rang. Mr Cheese ran over to it, before remembering he shouldn't be that excited to see Mr Egg and slowed.

He opened the door and greeted Mr Egg casually. TheGentleman looked over and waved hello.

"Hello, TheGentleman! Hello, Mr Cheese..." Mr Egg smiled. "A pleasure to see you both as always."

Mr Cheese wasn't used to the newfound sincerity in Mr Egg's voice as he said this, compared to the sarcastic and bitter tone it used to hide.

They stood there for a minute. Mr Cheese cleared this throat. "So, uh... do you want to get going?"

"Sure!" Mr Egg responded. "I'll drive."

"You don't think I can drive?" Mr Cheese said, chuckling to hide his offense.

"I didn't say that! You can drive," Mr Egg said. "It's just that, well, I know you're kind of... a bad driver at times."

Mr Cheese made a sound. "TheGentleman told you that?"

Mr Egg opened his mouth before TheGentleman interrupted. "It's alright, you two. Mr Cheese, you know it's true. I just mentioned it in passing, it wasn't a big deal. Mr Egg, Mr Cheese is perfectly capable of driving, you should have asked."

Mr Egg looked to Mr Cheese and they both gave each other an embarrassed, but apologetic look.

"Er... would you prefer to drive instead, Mr Cheese?" Mr Egg asked, to which Mr Cheese shook his head.

"No, TheGentleman is right," he laughed. "I'm not the best at driving..."

Mr Egg nodded and started out the door, Mr Cheese following.

They both stayed a bit away from the other, scared to make it awkward. They both were scared what would happen when they were alone and TheGentleman couldn't help stop arguments.

"So uh... what do you want to listen to?" Mr Cheese asked as the car pulled down the driveway.  He expected Mr Egg to have the same classical, music taste as TheGentleman did.

"I'm not sure," Mr Egg replied, looking back to check he didn't hit anything.  "I usually just turn on the pop channel," he answered as they got on the road.

"Oh, me too!" Mr Cheese smiled, surprised. 

The surprise must have shown on his face.  Mr Egg chuckled.  "Expected me to like TheGentleman's music, did you?"