Tutor (Engiegnome)

Note: this is a high school flashback, with my headcanon that engiegnome met in high school.  This is before they started dating.

Gnome skipped to the door of Engineer's house and knocked on it. She noticed her toes wiggling.

Engineer opened the door and she hugged him tightly. He stumbled back, surprised.

"Wh-why are you so excited today? This is only my third time teaching you..."

"Just am!" They pull away, smiling widely. "Excited to hang out with you again."

"We're not hanging out, though. I'm teaching you algebra."

Gnome giggled and went in. Engineer closed the door.

"My mom made us cookies today," Engineer mentioned. He walked towards the kitchen where they usually studied together.

Gnome loudly plopped her books on the table. Engineer flinched.

"Oh, I'm sorry!" Gnome said.

"Just loud..." Engineer said quietly, sitting down. Gnome opened their book to a certain page.

"We're not there, Gnome, remember? I told you to do the questions after it."

Gnome blushed. "Oh-uh-I tried. But it was too hard... I'm sorry..."

Engineer pulled the book closer to him to look. He saw a few questions here and there that had half their work done. but it was nowhere near complete.

He sighed. "It's okay, you tried. I just don't want you to get behind."

"I won't!" Gnome assured him, chewing on a cookie. "I won't let you down!"

Engineer smiled very lightly. "Well... it looks like you got pretty close on number 4. Let's start there."

They worked together for a while. Gnome tried her best.

"So, do you think you're ready to move onto the next lesson?"

Gnome nodded. "Ya!"

Engineer thought for a minute. He asked her a vocabulary question.

"Oh! Isn't that um- when the one line uhh.... starts to cross another line but then changes direction?"

After a bit, Engineer sighed. "You're more far behind than I thought..."

"Really?" Gnome said sadly.

"You don't even know basic terms, Gnome!"

"It's just one term," they shrugged slightly defensively.

"You didn't even use the word line right! Lines can't change direction!"

"Sorry..."

"It's alright," Engineer said casually, resuming teaching her. "Let's uh-- let's just review some terms and do some questions again."

Gnome did better at first but soon got confused again. She could tell Engineer got more and more annoyed.

He asked her a question, and she got it wrong on the second step.

Engineer sighed. "Maybe I could do this one for you, try to show you a different way?"

Gnome was quiet. After a few moments, Engineer looked over at them and saw they were crying.

Engineer made a confused noise. "What's wrong?"

"You think I'm stupid," Gnome cried.

"No I don't," Engineer said simply.

"Of course you do, I am," Gnome protested. "Of course you think I'm stupid."

"I don't!" Engineer repeated. "I think you're quite smart."

Gnome sniffled. "Really?"

Engineer nodded. "Ya, course you are. You always try really hard."

Gnome buried her head. "Even if I try so hard I still can't do it..."

"I admire you," Engineer said. "I think it's inspiring that you try so hard despite not being the best at math. Not many people do that. I think you're really smart."

Gnome blushed. "Oh... thank you..."

Engineer nodded. "Of course. It's true.

"I wish I could be smart like you... I wish it could be easy for me like it is for you..."

"First off, it's not always easy for me," Engineer said gently.  "And second off, you are good at a lot of things I'm not."

Gnome widened her eyes.  "Like what?"

"Talking to people?" Engineer laughed.  "A lot of things."

Gnome sighed and hugged her legs.

"You're really interested in this stuff even though it's hard for you," Engineer pointed out.  "It's really admirable and cute how you're interested in science, actually."

Gnome squeaked.  "Did you say it was cute?"

Engineer shook his head back and forth quickly.  "I didn't mean it like that!!!"

Gnome blushed and got up.  "It's almost time for me to go home anyway... sorry I wasted our time.  I'll pay you the full amount still."

She grabbed her bag and books and headed out the kitchen and towards the door out.  As soon as she put her hand on the handle, Engineer called her name.

"Ya?" Gnome asked simply, looking back at him.

He stood there and flushed.  "Um... well..."

They stood there waiting for him to finish patiently, still holding their stuff.

"You don't have to pay for your lessons anymore," he finished awkwardly.

"Really?  Thank you!" Gnome quickly put her books down and went and hugged him.

Engineer stumbled back a little in surprise but soon hugged them back.  When they pulled away, they quickly planted a kiss on his cheek.

Engineer squeaked and went silent.  Gnome skipped back to the door and grabbed her things.

"Bye, Engineer!" She said, smiling back at him before leaving.

They both smiled wider when they were out of the others sight, wider than they thought they would.