Lay Me Down Chapter 28

Start from the beginning

"So why do you want to go to the aquarium?" he asked me as we got on the interstate.

"I think it will calm me down and I have friends that work there."  

"So what has you crying in an alley or should I say who?"  

"Nothing."  

"A beautiful girl like you shouldn't be crying." He said making me smile. "Nice smile."  

"Thanks."  

From then on our conversation ceased and we didn't speak again until we were in the parking lot of the aquarium.

"Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it . . ." I said dragging it on to get his name.

"Trent." 

"Thanks Trent." 

"You're welcome . . ." He said doing the same thing as me.

"Lizzie."   I told him.

"Lizzie," he said. "I like it." 

I chuckled and got out. "See you around." 

"Hopefully," he replied. I turned away and began walking to the aquarium.

"Who was that?" I heard someone say as I neared the entrance. I jumped and turned. It was Jay.

"Just a friend," I told him. "Do you have to work today?"  

"I'm off now. I'm just waiting for Jenny, she takes forever to get dressed. Where's Carter?"

"I don't know," I replied honestly.

"Did you guys get in an argument?"

"Not really."

"So what's up?" 

"I really don't want to talk about it. Can I ask you a question though?"

"Sure."  

"The last time you saw Carter before our spring break trip was when we double dated for dinner right?"

He thought about it for a minute. "Yea why?" he answered. My heart began to ache.

"No reason," I told him. "I'm going to go find Jenny, okay?"

"Okay. She's in the showers." 

I nodded and walked inside. Carter had lied to me. He had told me that he spent the night at Jay's during the time he was mad at me and Carmen, but he wasn't at Jay's, so where was he? I already knew the answer. He was with Tammy of course. There was no other explanation. I was so stupid to trust him. Why did I even let him in to my life? It wouldn't work! I knew that from the beginning. I told myself that one of us was going to get hurt and it just happened to be me. I reached my hand up and wiped the tears that had silently fallen down my cheek.