seventy five - bryson

"YOU CAN JUST go back home with the car when you're done. We'll probably spend the night here, get an uber in the morning." Noah tells me as we enter the gated community.

"Cool."

"Good luck with the Hazel thing. I really hope it goes well." Nia says from the back seat, and I feel a hand on my shoulder.

"I'm sure it will work out. Let me know how it goes, yeah?"

'I doubt it will work out, with the luck I've been having lately' is what I really want to say but instead, I choose to say the least problematic thing which is, "Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it goes. I think it will work out too...I hope." I'm only a bit hopeful because the first time I spoke to her social worker, she gave me hope.

I stop the car by the elevator, and we exchange goodbyes before I start to make my way out of Kiana's place. I'm only 5 minutes away from Kiana's place when I feel my phone vibrate against my thigh. Keeping my eyes on the road, I pull my phone out from my pocket, and answer without taking a look at the caller ID.

"Please tell me you haven't gone too far yet." A panic stricken voice rings through the phone speaker.

"Noah?"

"Where are you?" He shouts into the phone this time.

What the hell?

"Uh, not too far yet. What's wrong?"

"Turn around. Now." He's almost pleading, and a panic rises within me as I make a quick U-turn.

"Noah, what the fuck is going on?" I ask as I press down on the throttle, but it's like Noah doesn't hear me, so I repeat myself.

In the background, I hear Nia's muffled cries as she calls to Noah, "Tell him to hurry Noah. Tell him to..." The rest of her sentence is cut out by her cries, louder this time and that's all it takes for me to quickly hang up the phone, accelerating towards them.