forty two - bryson

KIANA AND I haven't spoken since our awkward encounter at her place the other day, so it definitely feels a little weird being in her childhood home for her sister's death anniversary. As if I haven't invaded her privacy enough.

After getting our bags into our respective rooms, we all wound up in Mason's room. Under normal circumstances, we'd probably be doing something fun but really, we're all glued to our phones in a weird silence. It's almost like we all feel like we shouldn't be here and honestly a bit pitiful for Kiana and the twins.

I can't even begin to imagine what Kiana is going through...or how torturous this weekend is going to be for her. Having the support of friends is great I bet, but this was all so sudden and seems like something that only family should be at–Noah and Nia included. I shouldn't even be here. We've had like what? Six, seven conversations in total since we met? I really shouldn't be here.

Everyone's eyes tear off their screens when there's a knock at the door. Noah goes to open the door and the butler who's name I remember being Gerald is standing outside.

"Mr Brooklyn and Miss Johnson are waiting for you in the living room." Gerald says politely.

"We'll be down in a minute. Thanks Gerald." Noah tells him and Gerald nods before leaving.

Noah shuts the door and turns to look at Kiana who's staring up at the ceiling. Kiana always mostly seems on edge but today it's been a lot more than usual. I guess her mom really riles her up. But somehow, she seems to shake off her nerves when she bounces of her bed.

"Alright guys, let's go greet the folks." She says and it appears that she can switch up her emotions like crazy.

That's both weird and impressive.

We all make our way downstairs, with Kiana and Nia leading us into the living room. On our way, I take notice of just how perfect this house is. Beautiful crystal chandeliers hang off the high ceilings, with beige walls perfectly complimented by grey curtains by the high windows. The floors are carpeted in a soft material and there are expensive antiques everywhere. Everything is so well organised and fancy that I watch myself extra carefully so as not to damage anything. Everything in here just screams rich.

I realise we're getting close to the living room when the deep voice of a man speaking rings louder in my ears. In front of me, I notice Noah clenching and unclenching his fists repeatedly, almost like he's trying to control his temper. Seeing that he seems to be doing it more frequently the closer we get, I start to have a really bad feeling about this weekend.