The Choice

Chapter 23

Kari sat down.

It had beed a few weeks since Cam died and since Leon and Anya went missing.

Nothing was the same.

No one laughed.

No one smiled.

Milo never came out of his lab.

Billy didn't speak a word.

Hell, Billy didn't even look at anyone. It was as if he was in a catatonic state.

No one knew where Anya and Leon were. At this point, Kari was sad to say she didn't think that they were alive anymore.

She cursed herself. 'Why didn't I stay! I could have found them!!'

She put her head on her dining room table. She sighed.

'This is a consequence of fighting. I know that already. I was trained to expect casualties. But... How come every time someone I know dies, I die a little also?'

She sighed again. She knew that there would be more deaths before this thing was over. She had to brace herself. She had to be strong.

'I have to look on the bright side! If I find this 'Master' fast enough, then less people will die!'

She groaned. 'But people will still die no matter if this is ended slowly or quickly. There is no way to avoid death in a situation like this.'

She stood up.

She would still try and find a way to end this quickly.

She needed to stay strong.

Not just for her sake. But for everyone else's as well.

****

The whole room was blurry.

Leon couldn't see clearly, but he did see a mass of black in the corner of the room right in front of Cam.

There was a bang and the sound of a body falling to the floor.

Leon had known that this was Cam.

There was laughter.

A woman said some thing that Leon couldn't hear well.

There was this terrifying feeling he couldn't shake.

Leon looked at the black mass. It was no longer there. Instead a blurry Anya stood there. Leon knew that the black mass had absorbed into her.

There was pain. The look on Billy's face was distant.

Leon felt hatred as he realized that Cam wasn't coming back.

He couldn't breath.

The laughing woman extended a hand to Anya. "Join us. You will fit in quite well." Leon's senses were slowly returning.

Leon knew he couldn't let Anya go with this woman. However, Leon didn't know what to do.

Should he stay with his new friends or go with Anya?

The choice cleared up.

He wasn't needed here. He would just be a burden.

He needed to go with Anya.

'Everyone will eventually find out and believe that Anya killed Cam purposely. I have to stay with her. I can find out more about the Hunters, my mother and that black mass that absorbed into Anya. She didn't... She didn't kill Cam on purpose! I know it.'

'-Are you sure-?'

.......

Leon opened his eyes with a gasp.

He was lying in his bed in his room on the Hunter compound. He slowed his breathing. He tried to get up but noticed that there was someone lying on him...

"Anya? Can you move? I know your awake." Leon said. Anya sat up rubbing her eyes.

"Oh, come on. Lets stay like this for a while longer!" Her hair was sticking up in all different directions. Her eyes were bloodshot. 'But,' Leon thought, 'She still looked incredible.'

"No, sorry. I need to get up." Leon stood up wincing.

"You're still feeling pain?" Anya asked.

"Yes, you beat the life out of me." She grinned at that.

Ever since that day Cam had died, Leon had been staying with Anya in some Hunter compound in the middle of Russia.

He used his time here to learn how to use Immortal Slayer, the sword his father gave him.

Apparently, it was a famous sword. He had read about it in the compound's enormous library. Its black blade was made using Magic and was used to defeat such dangers as Dragons and Demonos (basically Demons, but much stronger and immortal).

Anya had been training him to use it, and she had no concept of mercy, hence the pain.

He had been there for a few weeks and still hadn't seen the one person he constantly was looking out for...

His mother.

As much as he'd like to hate her, and he should hate her, she was still the woman who raised him. He had a soft spot for her. He knew she had a high position within the Hunters, but he didn't know which compound she was at. Leon sighed.

"Leo?" Anya stood up. Leon noticed that she was wearing nothing but her underwear.

"Anya please put on some pants."

"I could say the same to you, boo." Leon was in his boxers.

"Whatever, it's my room." Anya laughed. "Will we train again today?"

"Of course! You need to learn how to fight even when you're in pain. I also really like beating you up." She put her arms around him. "Maybe if you are able to knock me down, I'll let you take me for the night." Leon blushed at the thought.

"You always say that. It's like you know I won't ever beat you."

"Cause you won't." She smiled up at him and gave him a small kiss. "What time is it?"

Leon glanced at his bed side alarm clock. "Quarter past eleven."

"I have to go soon. A new prisoner is arriving and I have to check on it."

This compound housed some of the more dangerous prisoners the Hunters had captured. Why such dangerous people were kept in one location was a mystery to him.

Leon thought that it was only going to end badly if they don't keep this place under constant lock down.

He had always wanted to see the prison and what kind of people resided there. 'Maybe he's here...?'

"Can I come with you?" He asked.

"Why?" She responded.

"I want to see this prison. What will you do there?"

"Oh? I have to go supervise the prisoner arrival." She sighed.

Leon knew that Anya held the position of Lieutenant. Right under the Lieutenant Commander of this compound Esmerelda Costas. How she got the position, Leon was unsure. They both had arrived here at the same time along with this red headed woman and Leon was still just a Trainee, while Anya has quickly moved up the ranks. She went from Trainee, to Rookie, to Scout, to Soldier, to Lieutenant all in a few weeks.

"So, can I come?"

"Okay, yeah. Just don't cause a ruckus."

"No problem." Leon nodded.

'I wonder who the prisoner is?'