Back To The 'Normal' Rhythm

Chapter 11

"Kimi... is dead...?" Kari said. She covered her mouth. Tears threatened to spill over. "How... When?"

Zing wiped his eyes. "7 months ago... Turns out, she was pregnant before the wedding... She... She was giving birth and after the baby was born... The doctors couldn't save her..."

"Sh-she died after giving birth? What... What about the baby? Is it okay? And what about Steve, how is he?" Kari wiped Zing's tears as her own were falling down her cheeks.

"Steve and the baby are both fine. The baby is completely healthy." Kari sighed of relief. "Steve is heartbroken. I mean, his wife died! My parents are... They just aren't the same, you know? When my grandma died, they were depressed for a while, but got over it cause, she died naturally. But Kimi..."

"She was still so young! She had her whole life ahead of her with her family..." Kari made a tissue box appear in front of them. She took a few and gave the rest to Zing. After a while of crying, Kari spoke again. "What's the baby's name?"

Zing smiled and wiped his eyes. "Her name is Jin."

"Just like grandma!" Kari said remembering Zing's amazing grandma.

Zing laughed. "Yeah. And even though she's only a few months old, she acts just like her too! You should hear her laugh. I swear it's like grandma is right there." He sighed.

Kari caressed his cheek. "Everything will be okay. We have to be strong and help raise that little girl right!"

"You'll help raise her?"

"Hell yes! You are looking at Aunty Kari, Baby Raiser!"

"More like Aunty Kari, Hell Raiser." They laughed. "No way Steve is gunna let you influence his child."

"And is he going to let you influence her instead?"

"Of course!"

"Says the student who only gets 'C's'! I always get the top mark, in every class I'm in!"

"Hey! C's get degree's!"

"Oh yeah, sure. Keep on believing that." They laughed more. Kari hugged her boyfriend. He held onto her and whispered that he loved her.

Zing let go of Kari and turned to his left. "Hey Milo. Sam."

Milo and Sam entered the living room.

"We'll go back, okay?" Milo said.

"You should stay, have dinner with me." Kari offered. "I'm hungry as shit right now."

"If you don't mind us staying, then sure." Milo said sitting on an arm chair.

"Okay! I'll get started." Kari said.

"Hey, can I help? I like cooking." Sam said. Kari nodded and they made dinner.

*****

"Are you kidding me?"

Kari was standing in her front room a few days later with Zing. She was going back to school for the first time in a long time to register for 11th grade at her high school, Sacred Heart East. Zing had brought her something that she didn't like at all.

A school uniform.

"Why did they start to do this? I went to that high school a year ago and there were no uniforms! None this tacky anyway!" She complained.

Her uniform was a blue cardigan over a black dress shirt. She had a blue bow and a short blue skirt. Her shoes were black and her socks (yes even her socks) were blue and black patterned. Zing's uniform was a black blazer, blue dress shirt, black tie, black dress pants and shoes.