~~~

“We are!” I was at my grandma’s house for so long. I wanted to go home with mommy. Even though she yelled at me sometimes, used bad words, and forgot to feed me. I was sad and cried a lot. I missed her, and I hope when she came back she was okay. That she was nice mommy again, and not mean mommy. I didn't like mean mommy. “Yes buddy, get dressed and we can go see her.” I get dressed in my fanciest clothes and try to comb my hair. “Looking good Will.” I go out and show off in front of my Grammy and Papa. “You look spiffy buddy lets go.”

                We take a long drive to the place Grammy says mommy is in. We go inside and have to go through some detector thing before seeing her. We go in a room and there was mommy, but she didn't look good. “Mommy?” She turns to me and blinks. “Will? Is that you?” I run to her bed. Mommy’s skin looked whiter than usual and her hair was messy.

“Grammy said you were sick Mommy.” Mommy looks up at Grammy. “Mommy rather talk about you buddy, what’s going on?”  I fill her in on my life while she’s been gone. “You got a hundred on your test? That’s amazing buddy.” I nod, feeling happy. Mommy was Nice Mommy today. I missed Nice Mommy. I hug mommy.

“Mommy, today at school, we drew our families,” I grab the picture I drew for her. “That’s me, and that’s Grammy and Papa, and then that’s you,” I drew mommy with a smile, because that’s the mommy I like. “That’s you when you’re Nice Mommy.” She looks at me. “What do you mean Nice Mommy?”  She gets up from her bed.

“You don’t think I am nice mother? I am the only mother you have. Of course I’m fucking nice. I cleaned, and fed you all the time. I let you play outside; I bought you all the toys you wanted. How dare you fucking say that you bastard? You are just like everyone else. Judging me and shit. You all are some worthless piece of shits. I rather die than be”— I scream when a man comes in and stabs my mommy with a needle. She slumps backwards. Grammy and Papa come running in. Grammy picks me up. I was crying, because Mommy turned into Mean mommy again.

~~~

                I was in was the summer time when Grammy told me that my daddy was coming for me. Mommy always said Daddy didn't want her or me. My Grammy opened the door and a very tall man looked down at me. “Nicholas.” Grammy said to the man. My daddy’s name was Nicholas. “Is that Will?” Grammy nodded. Daddy started to cry. “Mara never told me she was pregnant.” Mara was my mommy. “Is she okay?” Grammy looks down at me. “Will go in the other room and make double sure you packed all your stuff.” I follow her directions. Before I went to my room I heard Grammy say, “She almost hurt him when we went to see her.”

~~~

I moved in with daddy. He said he didn't live far away from Grammy, but I didn't believe him. I haven’t seen mommy since the last time she was mean mommy. Her mean words always made me cry. Sometimes I had bad dreams about mean mommy. But daddy made them go away when he let me sleep in his bed. Daddy and I were eating lunch. He made me a sandwich. The phone rings and he answers it. He was refilling my juice and his water. He hands me the cup, but drops his. The glass breaks on the floor.

“What?” Daddy’s face goes ghost white. “S-she’s gone?” I look up at daddy. He was scaring me. He soon hangs up and cleans up the glass. “Daddy you scared me.” He looks up, “I’m sorry buddy. I-I need to tell you something.” I hope it was that we could ride his horsey in the back. “Buddy, Mommy just passed.”

I've heard that word before. I've heard Grammy say it when she was talking about her old friend. The word was never good, because she cried for that whole week. She dressed in black on the last day. I started to cry. That means I was going to have to wear black and go see mommy in a box. Grammy said they went to a better place, but she still cried. “I’m so sorry buddy.” Daddy hugged me. I was sad. No more Nice Mommy, or Mean mommy. No more Mommies at all.