Tired (Peter Parker)

Summary: Peter's having a rough day so you do as much as you can to cheer him up
Warnings: angst, sad, bit of fluff
Word Count: 1615

Your POV:

"Hey" I smile at Peter once I've walked over to his locker where he's standing. His head turns at the sound of my voice and he gives me a soft smile, but my smile falls.

"Hey, you okay?" He asks me but I'm to busy looking at him to answer. His eyes have evident bags underneath them, also they look a little bit red. It would take an idiot not to know he hasn't been crying. Also he hasn't got that happy glint in his eyes he usually does. Somethings up.

"Babe? What's wrong?" He asks me.

"I should be asking you that" I say, and I bring my hand up to cup his cheek, running the pad of my thumb under his eye slowly and watching as he melts into my hand, his body going from tense to relaxed and his eyes drooping a little. "What's going on Peter?"

His eyes open a little more and I watch as he straightens himself up, clearing his throat before giving me a smile, but just by looking at it I already know it's forced. It's not his smile. "Nothing" He shrugs.

"Okay..." I trail off, "I'm here though, if you need me. You know that right?" I tell him and he smiles and puts his hand over mine which is still on his cheek. He turns his head a bit, bringing it down and presses a gentle kiss to the palm.

"I know" He says. I nod, not wanting to push him for an answer if he's not ready to give it and we get on with the day as normal, but I make sure to keep an eye on Peter.

He's quiet. I mean Peter's genuinely the quiet type of guy but today he's too quiet. If anyone asks him if he's alright he'll just give them a small smile and tell them he's fine. But I don't believe him. Somethings up. And I don't get how nobody has noticed yet.

By the time the end of the day comes and we're sat in our last lesson for the week, I look at him, one row in front of me and on the other side of the room, his head on his hand as his arm leans on the desktop and he's got his pen resting limp in his hand as he just looks down at his textbook, not paying attention, not even reading it, just staring at it mindlessly.

The bell goes and only then does his head look up and he looks around, seeing people packing up. He follows suite, same as me but I make sure to keep glancing over and I quickly walk over to him as everyone filters out the classroom.

"Fancy going Delmar's?" I suggest, "And we can go back to mine and just chill for the day?" He nods with a small smile and I take his hand and smile up at him, happy he's agreeing. I know exactly what will cheer him up, so I'm just hoping it works.

We get to Delmar's and obviously Peter orders his usual and I order mine, and we wait talking about our lessons today after I pay for both, even though Peter was against that idea. Once it's ready we get the food and we walk hand in hand to my house.

We climb up the fire escape instead of going through the front door like a normal person and we both sit on it outside my window, eating our food. I lean my head on Peter's shoulder and he leans his head on mine. "You sure you're okay?" I ask him, taking his hand in mine and rubbing the back of it gently with my thumb.

He stays silent so I look up at him a few seconds later, seeing his eyes full with fresh tears threatening to spill. "Mhm" He mumbles and I take the last bite of my food since Peter already finished his and quickly swallow it.

"Cuddles?" I ask him and he looks at me and smiles. I smile and stand to my feet, pulling Peter up with all my strength and a huff, him laughing lightly at me. I get the key to my window out and click it in from the outside, turning it and opening up the window as we climb inside.

I shut the window again as Peter drops his school bag on the floor by the wall and slips off his shoes, me doing the same just after him and I jump onto the bed and look up at him with a smile.

He smiles and grabs the blanket from the bottom of the bed, climbing over me and laying beside me, pulling the blanket over us before scooting closer to me and I wrap my arms around his neck as he hides his face in my chest.

I gently thread my fingers through his soft brown hair as we lay in silence and I feel Peter's arms which are wrapped around my waist tighten a little as he hugs me tighter, pulling me a little closer.

His hand draws small shapes on my back over my shirt and I smile. "You know, if you need to vent you can. I'm here to listen" I say softly. "You don't have to, I'm just here if you need me. Always will be Pete"

"Just wanna cuddle for now" He mumbles and I nod, being understanding as we continue laying there, my fingers lightly scratching over his scalp to relax him. Once again he tries getting closer and he ends up slotting a leg between mine, and he shuffles up a little more, turning his head and hiding it in the crook of my neck.

A couple minutes of silence pass before Peter speaks up. "I'm just tired" He sighs, "M' tired of being Spiderman all the time and helping people. I know it sounds bad to be tired of helping but I just do it so much and it's stressing me out a bit."

"I mean what if I don't save someone? Like right now if I take a day off of patrol and something happens to somebody I feel bad and feel like it's my fault because I wasn't there to help. It's just tiring me out and I at least want to just, stop for a bit. Just wanna be normal" he explains, mumbling his words out into the skin on my neck.

My heart breaks a little hearing that Peter's upset. This boy means the world to me and I hate that he feels like this, and I want to stop it, so all I can do is be supportive.

"Babe listen. If you're not there when a bad thing happens, it's not your fault. Not at all. I mean you can't expect yourself to be there constantly. Peter you're the kindest and most caring person I know on this planet, and everyone loves you so much for helping others, but it's okay to want a break."

"You can't expect yourself to be there for everyone. Sure, Spiderman takes care of people. But you need to do what's best for you and take care of Peter, not Spiderman. If it's getting too much for you then take a break. Before you were Spiderman people lived life normally, and they would without him, even if it's just for a little bit you want to have a break, just take one."

"I want to" Peter mumbles, "But what if someone gets hurt, I would've been able to stop it so I just feel like that's on me" He sighs.

"Peter the world is a messed up place. People get hurt every single day, all over the world. New York is just one of these places. If something happens to somebody it's not your fault at all. Don't stress yourself out over this. Just take some time for you and look after yourself"

"You think that's a good idea?" He questions, pulling his head from my neck and leaning it on my shoulder, looking up at me and I see the tears in his eyes and the wet patches on his cheeks from where they've spilled over.

"Yeah, it is. You just need to chill out and take care of yourself. You matter more than Spiderman. Without you there isn't even a Spiderman. Just take some time off and if you feel like it, when you're feeling yourself again, you can go back to it."

"But what if I went back and this same thing just happens again?" He asks me. "I just hate feeling like this" He murmurs, looking down.

"Then don't be Spiderman as often. You do it every day at the moment, maybe once or twice a week. Just focus on yourself more" I tell him, my voice still gentle as I hope he understands.

He nods and shuffles up a little more, pressing his cheek against mine and snuggling up to me. "Thank you baby" He whispers, turning his head slightly to press a kiss to my cheek.

I smile and rub my hand down and up his back gently to comfort him and he yawns and nuzzles his face into the side of mine. "Have a nap of you want" I whisper and he just nods.

"M' love you, so much" He mumbles and I smile.

"Love you more" I whisper with a smile, staying still and shutting my eyes, relaxing as Peter falls asleep beside me.