01| baby fever (tom)

I am in the middle of editing this book, so if a chapter has a '✍️' next to the title, I am in the middle of editing and wouldn't recommend reading as it may not make complete sense until finished.

Summary: After visiting your older sister, Tom develops a fever he just can't seem to shake...
Warnings: none
Word count: 3215

*• your pov •*

"Remind me why we're doing this again?" My eyes roll as Tom groans out another stupid complaint. You'd think he'd be mature for a 24 year old, but no - my husband acts like a literal child. It's ridiculous.

"Tom I have explained this. Paige just had her baby boy, and we are going to see our nephew for the first time." I sigh, turning the steering wheel and taking a right corner onto the road she lives on in Kingston.

"I know... but I was comfy with you in bed this morning and you made me get up!" He defends, leaning his head back against the passenger seat and keeping his eyes on the road ahead, fingers tangled with mine and his thumb gently rubbing continuous circles on the back of my hand.

"Please, just be cheerful for today? For me?" I plea, glancing at him for a moment and meeting his conflicted gaze before looking at the road again. A small smirk lifts my lips hearing a frustrated sigh blow out from his mouth.

"Fine." A pout sits on his lips. This morning was supposed to be a lazy morning for the both of us considering we both had completely free days, and Tom was looking forward to it more than anything in the world. But then I got a text saying that Paige, my older sister, was back from the hospital after having her newborn son which they named Ollie, and said that we could both come over and meet him which of course I said yes to.

We pull up onto her driveway and I park the car, undoing my seatbelt just like Tom before climbing out. We shut the car doors behind us, walking up the path to the house as he steps beside me, sliding his arm around my waist as per usual. I knock on the front door when we finally reach it and we wait a second for the door to open, which it does to Chris, Paige's husband.

"Hey guys! Come on in!" He exclaims cheerfully, and we greet him and stepping inside whilst beginning to catch up. Slipping off our shoes, we start heading to the living room. "You're just in time. Ollie woke up a moment ago." Chris chuckles.

We walk into the living room and my eyes fall upon Paige sat on the couch, holding her baby boy in her hands. I gasp softly, walking over with an excited smile and feeling my chest swell at how fucking adorable my nephew is. Tom follows behind me.

"Hey, oh Paige he's just adorable!" I whisper, being as quiet as possible careful not to alarm the baby and make him cry, but not being able to mask my excitement.

"I know right? I have never been happier." she sighs dreamily, looking from me and down at her son with such adoration it makes my heart melt.

"He's really cute Paige, you truly both made something special." Tom smiles. Relief flushes over me that he's genuinely making an effort, and I turn to find him staring at the baby before meeting my eye, a new look in his eyes I've never recognised before.

"How are you doing?" I turn back to Paige, meeting her eyes.

"Tired, but other than that over the moon." she chuckles breathlessly.

"How's parenting life going for you both?" Tom questions as Chris sits down on the other side of Paige, hanging an arm around his wife's shoulders.

"Well we woke up in the night a few times because of this little monkey, but other than that it's going great." Chris laughs, looking at his wide-eyed son that's letting his sight explore the room, clearly curious.