Chapter 5: Dazed and Confused and Angry and Sad

I just have to get through history then I'm off for a week

Ally groaned as she stared at the clock above the whiteboard in the drab and dreary classroom. It was somehow still only 2:30. Not even a single minute had passed since her last glance up at the round, white and black face staring back at her.

She groaned again then watched with interest as a brown-haired girl she was always forgetting the name of, rose and left without even a word from Ms. McAllister.

Ally wanted some of that.

Hell, McAllister usually wouldn't even let anyone go to the bathroom.

Speaking of which.

"Ms. McAllister?" she said, raising her hand. "Can I go to the bathroom?"

"Class just started ten minutes ago, Ms. Shepard," the taciturn woman responded from her desk.

"Uh. Still gotta pee."

"You should've thought of that on your way here, shouldn't you have?"

Ally exhaled and looked around the room. "Uh. Ok. You mind if I go in the trash can? Cuz this is happening no matter what you say."

A few of her classmates laughed, but when she saw Ethan, he was shaking his head with a look that said - 'don't do this.'"

She looked back to McAllister who was staring her down with a hint of surprise in her brown eyes. The woman had taken to wearing a hat every day, and the days she didn't wear it showed her hair was thinning with her confidence, and her patience for Ally then and there.

"Ms. Shepard."

Ally waited for more, but that had apparently been the extent she'd formulated in her mind, or she'd thought of another new horror to unleash upon her and was adding on.

"Yeah?" she finally asked.

"Outside ten minutes."

Ally got up and practically bolted for the door, still getting covered-mouth laughs.

__

She made an immediate beeline to the bathroom and returned with no apparent signs her wandering had been noticed.

For a while she sat on the planter box across from the door and stared at it like she'd been expected to and when she realized what she was doing it made her mad.

A strong desire to elope entirely coursed through her veins but she got no immediate ideas of where to even go.

Just get through last period, idiot.

Mrs. Grayson, the Principal of Dayvale Middle School and an authority on being an uptight bitch, waltzed by with feigned interest in her plight, not even slowing down to have a genuine conversation with her.