Chapter 76: Sweet Dreams

Amber's glasses had finally arrived and before she even got in the car, she spent some time just looking at everything. The sky, the trees, the birds in the trees. Everything was clearer. It was amazing to her how long she'd functioned without them, she could read street signs on the adjoining roads, she could see passing license plate numbers, everything was steadier.

I hope I don't look like a dork...

When she got in her car, she looked at herself in the rear-view mirror.

I definitely look like a dork.

They were black rimmed, and she remembered Ally's response to the idea the first time, but one thing she didn't like was they were bigger than she initially thought. She thought she looked like one of those stereotypical nerds always getting thrown in lockers in the cartoons she grew up watching.

She hoped Ally would approve and started the car and headed home. There was only one way to find out.

__

As soon as she walked into the living room Ally sprung to her feet from the couch. Freya ran over to Amber, sniffing her like she was a stranger.

"Holy shit!" cried Ally.

Is that a good holy shit or...

"I know, the stupid frames are so big I..."

"You look like... Shit what's the word... Uh... Hot as fuck!"

Amber smiled.

Ally...

"Is there a big difference?" Ally wondered.

Amber looked around, suddenly feeling much better about them, her eyes fell back on Ally.

"Uh, well one thing."

"What?"

"You somehow look even prettier," Amber said and kissed her, then leaned down to let Freya know she was still the same person.

Ally couldn't take her eyes off of her, when Amber rose, she hugged her.

"Looks like your dream came true after all."

"Well... Not yet."

"Hmm?"

Ally kissed her and steered her towards the stairs.

__

The rain started seemingly without clouds in the evening, a drizzle fell as the sun was still shining before a downpour began after sunset.

The final scenes were playing out in the third Pirates of the Caribbean film At World's End. When the credits rolled, Amber took out her phone and mindlessly scrolled for a bit before she came across something that caught her attention.

Whoa...

Will Davis was being released from jail. It was unclear if he was going to go immediately back to school, but it still made her heart jump at the thought of him out and about after his threat.

"Ally, did you see this?" she asked, glancing over at her.

She was asleep, her legs were stretched out in her lap. Amber didn't press the conversation any longer. Ally's insomnia had been bad for what seemed like months, she couldn't fall asleep, and when she did, she'd only sleep in shifts, for an hour or so at a time. The fact that she'd finally fallen asleep without issue was an encouraging sign.

Ally seemed lighter. Ethan had been texting her on and off, saying that he was looking for a therapist. It was a huge relief to both of them that his situation wasn't hanging over their heads anymore. She always liked Ethan; he was kind to both of them when they were younger. She hoped that in time they could all be friends again.

Amber carefully moved Ally's legs out of her lap and covered her completely, after kissing her goodnight she headed for the stairs.

She'd have to get up early for her rescheduled test.