Chapter 46 - Nick: Something Special

Начните с самого начала

"Mhm. I can't believe that I was the Virtue of Patience all this time, and I didn't even know it. How does that even work? They told me I had powers. How does that work? Is it different from magic? It's all so confusing."

"Well, magic is limited because we only have the spells we've taken from the creatures. I figure your powers won't exhaust you after using them, after. Maybe," suggested Adrian.

Nick sighed again, laying back. "I guess I'll figure it out, eventually. I'm just totally tired of all of this information, but another part of me is really happy, ya know? Like, I can save Boris now." And Richard.

Adrian pulled at his arm sleeves. "Gods, I heard about that shit. I'm so sorry, Nick. I always liked Boris, personally. Hearing he was possessed and did that to Astrid---I wonder how my Double took it."

"He's probably not thinking much about it, considering they altered his memories," Nick pointed out. "At least I was never making out with a clone."

Adrian brushed the fur on his head back. "Ha! Good thing we ended our fling before all of that."

The hyena cleared his throat. "Yeah, sorry about that. I just wasn't ready to be a couple."

"Well, you're lucky I can handle rejection!" Adrian flicked Nick's leg. "I'm too much for you anyway, in that regard."

"That's definitely right," answered Nick. "I've never been about all of that, you know. I'd rather take my time falling into something."

"Well, you are Patience, after all!" Adrian slapped his legs, causing Nick to jump.

"It's great that we're gonna be working together," the hyena told him. "Like a little piece of my past life with me."

"Same here. It'll be good to get away from my partner, Dmitri. He's this big wolf guy, and we have a complicated relationship."

"Complicated? Are you together?"

"No, but we sleep together and . . . other stuff," Adrian mumbled. "Have you ever heard of Replacement Syndrome?"

"Uh . . . I think so," Nick nodded.

"Yeah. It gets really lonely here. So lonely that some people-- Let's just say they go really far for a connection. The Neon Nightclub has these things called Release Rooms for those purposes. I've used them more times than I'd like to admit, with and without Dmitri."

Nick gawked. "Eww."

"I think it's sad," Adrian said. "Imagine if you were dating someone and got recruited to the Mortal Guard, and your Double gets to be with them while you're alone. It's pretty fucked."

Nick stared at the ceiling. "Yeah, that sounds really shitty. Uh, are you still practicing your saxophone? Like, did you buy a new one or what?"

Adrian nodded. "Actually, yeah. I play it occasionally. I miss hearing new music every week, and I miss playing with the band. I didn't even get to tour Monster with you."

Nick felt more sadness weighing him down. "Yeah . . . I know. But you were doing important things here, right?"

"Yeah. I got Mortal Realm updates every time I went out on missions. It made me pretty sad to see things moving on without me but, ya know, gotta stay focused!"

Nick huffed a laugh. "Hm, yeah. What about your journalism? Been pursuing writing further?"

"Nah. Nope. That ship has sailed." Adrian glided his hand in the air. "Not really a reason to write. I think learning spells has taken over."

"Mmm . . ." Nick felt heavier and heavier as the conversation continued, and his eyes shut slowly. Adrian's voice faded into muffles, then into nothing.