THIRTY-EIGHT

_________

CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

The Empty Throne

__________

THE MEATPIE SAT ON THE PLATE IN FRONT OF ME, GETTING COLD.

"Aren't you gonna eat that?"

Keeping my face blank, I huffed. "Your attempt to draw out some sympathy using nostalgia has failed," I informed her bluntly. Granted, the meatpie reminded me of my childhood on Alderaan, but that wasn't enough for me to get over the fact that my sister had let me believe she was dead for over a decade.

Rov-Nevi let out a sigh and pursed her lips. "You're bitter about the fact that I left," She commented.

"Not bitter. Justifiably angry," I corrected her with a glare. The ship landed almost an hour ago, but she refused to let me off without talking to her first. We had flown for a long while, and I wasn't sure where we were.

"Damri hated me for being Force-sensitive," She began her sordid tale. "You saw the way he treated me. Abused me. Can you really blame me for escaping?"

Sitting back, I recalled the morning after she left. "Father told me you were killed during a burglary," I told her lowly.

"I'm glad to hear that. That's what I tried to make it look like," She replied, somehow finding the nerve to smile at me.

I leaned forward, narrowing my eyes at her. "You wanted me to believe my little sister had been murdered by brutes?" I asked with a scoff, utterly outraged. "You left me with him, knowing what he was like."

"How is he?" Rov-Nevi asked casually from her seat opposite me.

Clenching my hands into fists at her flippant attitude, I spat, "Dead."

The news made her raise a brow. "Well, that confirms it," She began, confusing me. "I didn't sense it. His death."

"So, what?" I mumbled, not particularly concerned with the answer.

"He wasn't my father," She revealed. "Not by blood, anyway."

Taken aback, I shook my head. "What the fuck are you talking about, Rov?"

She took in a deep breath, looking down at the ground. In the orbalisk armor, she looked nothing like the girl I remembered, and I couldn't find any familiarity in her cold, yellow eyes. "There's a lot you don't know about our parents, Kyda," She said solemnly. "You were his, that much is true. Perhaps our mother was afraid you had taken on more of our father's traits than redeemable."

"What makes you say that?" I asked, offended by her assumption.

"Mother was planning on running away when she fell pregnant with me, because I'm not the daughter of Damri," Rov-Nevi divulged. "I'm the daugher of Jinn."

The name sounded familiar, and instinctively I brought my hand up to my necklace and I recalled the story Vader had told me. Qui-Gon.

"Damri knew I wasn't his, and he knew of Mother's plans to flee to Coruscant where her and Jinn could raise me together," She continued, before her tone lowered. "While leaving you under Damri's care."

Refusing to believe that my mother would abandon me, I let out a dry scoff. "She wouldn't do that," I muttered stubbornly. 

"No?" She retorted with a raised brow. "She got killed for it."