FIFTEEN

_________

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Mutual Distraction

__________

THE HARD SHOT WAS DONE.

After weeks of working on a larger version of the canon, Noa and I had finally perfected it. I was more excited to gain Rivven's approval over anything - a compliment from Vader wouldn't have been uninvited, either.

"Sev, do you know where Noa is?" I asked, collecting the Hard Shot blueprint and other important notes that I needed to send to the factory.

"He retired to his room, Miss Damri," Sev answered, making me frown.

Taking a folder with the Hard Shot information, I decided to pay Noa a visit before going to the factory. His room was down the hall from mine, so the journey felt like second nature.

Just before I raised my hand to knock, I heard his voice from inside. It was rude to eavesdrop, but I couldn't help it. His voice was muffled, and it sounded like he was mid-conversation. Suddenly, he stopped, and a few seconds later his door swung open.

"Hey, angel," He began with a small smile. "Everything okay?"

I smirked at him, "If you wanted a day off work, you could've just asked."

A nervous laugh left his mouth and he closed his door behind him. "Just taking a quick break."

"Who were you talking to?" I questioned him with a raised brow.

"Myself," He replied bluntly before mirroring my inquisitive look. "Why were you listening?"

Shrugging in response, I took a few steps back into the hall. "I'm a curious woman."

"You're a nosey woman," He countered with a bitter mumble, making me snort.

"Anyway," I began, turning away from him. "Come with me to take the Hard Shot stuff to the factory. I've never been there before."

He began walking alongside me, the two of us stepping through the quiet halls. It would've been quicker to cut through the common areas, but Noa and I preferred longer journeys of solitude and privacy.

After a few moments, he cleared his throat. "Any update on the flower bomb?"

I let out a soft groan. "Gonna have to put a pause on it for a while. Sev and I have scanned through all of Doctor Willon's notes, but the bastard died before he made any real breakthrough," I explained, rolling my eyes. "I'm waiting until Rivven is off my case before I continue working on it. Vader promised to keep the notes so nobody else finds them." I regretted the words as soon as I said them, not wanting Noa to think anything untoward of my relationship with Vader.

"He did?" Noa asked with a confused tone, making me wince. "Why?"

I looked down at my feet, trying to sound as nonchalant as possible. "I suppose he has faith in our work."

A dry laugh left his mouth. "In our work? Or in you?"

My mouth ran dry at his accusatory tone. There was no possible way Noa knew about my agreement with Vader. Was there? "What do you mean?"

"I just..." He trailed off, shaking his head. "It's nothing."

Taking note of his unhappy tone, I narrowed my eyes. "What's your sudden problem with Vader?" I probably should have been trying to change the subject, but something about Noa's attitude had irked me. I would have hoped Vader would feel equally as defensive of me in the presence of my naysayers.