EIGHTEEN*

_________

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Exercising Control

__________

THERE WAS A BOUQUET THE SIZE OF MY ENTIRE UPPER BODY SITTING ON MY WORK TABLE.

My heart jolted at the sight of it. A large straw basket with a golden bow sitting at the top, the basket itself filled with an assortment of different colors and textures. For a split second, due to its shape and size, I thought it to have been a flower arrangement. When my eyes focused on the contents of it, however, I realized that the basket was filled with all kinds of chocolate. Bars, truffles, and even brownies which immediately made me salivate.

There was no card to tell me who had sent such a delight, but there was no doubt in my mind. Vader.

"He mentioned that you like chocolate," A familiar voice called out from the doorway. I turned around to see Kendyl with a sheepish look on her face. "So, I got you all the chocolate I could get my hands on as my way of saying... I'm sorry."

I was surprised, to say the least, but before I could say anything, she continued to speak.

"I really am sorry for last week," She insisted with a pained look on her face as she stepped further into my office. "It's just that, when I found out about Merandis being Force-sensitive, it put me on edge. Made me wonder what else you were hiding."

Slowly nodding, I kept my voice and face blank. "Your methods were... undesirable, but I can understand your reasons," I told her truthfully.

"I appreciate that," Kendyl said with a small smile, before raising her eyebrows. "Is everything okay with Vader? I hope I didn't cause any issues with anything I said."

"No, you didn't." In fact, his attempts to comfort me were worth the discomfort you put me through. "What happened, happened. There's no benefit to gain from dwelling on the past."

She let out a sigh of relief. "I know that the chocolate assortment isn't exactly enough to excuse my behavior, but I hope we can still be friends."

I still wasn't sure how I felt about Kendyl. During our first conversation, she made me feel secure and as though she'd be a trusty associate. During our second conversation, she made me feel like a criminal on trial, not to mention her crude comments about me being Vader's 'pet', which I wouldn't soon forget. Then again, seeing as she was the only other person I knew of so far that Vader showed his face to, I knew that she must have been trustworthy. "I'm sure we can be, Kendyl."

Smiling warmly, she walked over to me and took one of my hands in hers. "You remind me of myself when I was younger."

"I do?" I asked, wondering whether that was a compliment or an insult.

She nodded, "Mhm. And my offer still stands. I know things between us might be tense for a while, but if you ever need anything, I'll be here for you."

"Thank you," I said earnestly, hoping I wasn't a fool for believing her.

Kendyl stared at me for a few seconds, her eyebrows furrowing. "Vader's a powerful man. Not only on the Death Star, but in the galaxy, too. And he's your boss. Your superior."

I was confused as to where she was taking this point, but remained silent so as to let her elaborate.

"The lines can blur between genuine consent and... fearful obligation," She went on to say. "No matter how much you may think you want it, it's possible that, at times, you're simply afraid to say no."