SEVEN

_________

CHAPTER SEVEN:

 The Imperial Military Department
of Advanced Weapons Research 

_________

IT WAS CLEAR THAT I DIDN'T FIT IN, AT FIRST.

The other workers I had gotten to know stood at the helm of years of experience, and they understood the intricacies of war and politics much more than I could ever hope to. But where I fell short with knowledge, I was confident that I could deliver on skill.

That was, until, I was officially initiated into the Imperial Military Department of Advanced Weapons Research.

"It's an honor to have you with us, General Damri," Admiral Sakodi told me with a warm smile once I had entered the meeting room. "I trust your working quarters are up to standard?"

"Oh, absolutely," I confirmed with a nod. "My office is better than I could have imagined."

"I'm glad to hear that," He replied, leading me further into the room. A rectangular table sat in the middle, the walls decorated with the emblem of the Empire. There were a handful of people standing and sitting around the table, talking between themselves, one of them standing up and walking over to me with a smile on her face.

"Kyda-Sin, you've finally graced us with your presence," She said with a raised eyebrow. "I'm General Celestus; I work on the Weapons Research team."

"Where's Orson?" Admiral Sakodi asked from beside me. "I'd like to introduce General Damri to him."

"Of course," Celestus said with a nod, before leading us over through a door. It led to a smaller, quieter room, where two men stood at a large computer screen. When they noticed our presence, one of them walked over, an intimidating lack of emotion on his face. "Kyda-Sin, this is Orson Krennic; the Director of Advanced Weapons Research. Orson," Celestus began, holding her hand out towards me while looking to him. "Your newest protégé has arrived."

He came over to stand before me, his hands behind his back. "I have heard a lot about you, General Damri. I look forward to working with you."

I shook his outstretched hand, overwhelmed by the importance they had placed on me. "As do I, Sir. Although the more of you I meet, the less I'm convinced I was ever needed to add to the already impressive roster."

"Nonsense," Krennic shook his head. "You are incredibly important to us here, General Damri. After all, you are the youngest to hold that title- and that is for good reason. You see, we have many duties here on the Death Star. Our efforts elsewhere make it near impossible to work on constant updates for the Stormtrooper's arsenal."

"That's where you come in," Celestus told me with a smug look. "Even after such a short time with us, you already understand the troopers. You get along with them, and it is evident that you have come to somewhat care for them."

"We're confident that putting them in your hands is the right thing to do," Krennic continued. "You will have little to no supervision, and General Rivven will finalize any decisions- though if, for any reason, he rejects one of your ideas, I'll be sure to give my own input."

"That sounds great," I said, trying my best to remain professional and ignore the burst of excitement within me.

Krennic grinned, and patted me on the shoulder. "Welcome to the team, General."