THIRTY

________

CHAPTER THIRTY

Losses

________

"WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO CALL IT?"

My mind went blank at Sev's question. "Uh... I haven't decided yet."

"Oh," He replied, trailing his fingers over the prototype of the new gun. "Well, whatever you go with, I'm sure it'll be perfect."

I let out a hum, folding my arms across my chest. "How about... the X-A2 Destroyer?"

Sev tilted his head over to me. "Most uninspired, Miss. A gun of this caliber deserves to be the first of its kind, not made junior to a decade-old design."

"I suppose you're right," I said, furrowing my brows. "Got any ideas?"

"None at all," He admitted. "Perhaps a visit to Lord Vader would spark a little creativity."

His words took me aback. "Excuse me, Sev?"

"I may be but a droid, but I am not stupid," He said curtly. "It hasn't escaped my notice that, after your meetings with Vader, you tend to return to work with a much more jovial and motivated demeanor. Frankly, you're quite pleasant to be around after you've been with him."

Hearing his admission made me snort, astounded that even he could see how just a moment with Vader could brighten my day. "I don't know what you're talking about," I said bashfully, looking down at my desk.

The sound of his legs whirring filled the office as he walked over to me, placing a hard hand on my shoulder. "I can't speak for her, but if your mother were here, she'd want me to-"

"Don't even go there, Sev," I cut him off sternly. "There is absolutely nothing more than a professional relationship between the Commander and I. You don't need to warn me about getting myself hurt."

He whirred as he stepped back and tilted his head. "I didn't mean to offend you, Miss Damri."

Letting out a sigh, I relaxed. "It's no matter, Sev. I'm just a little on edge because of the pressure of a new gun. Who knows what they'll think about it?"

"You're too skilled to doubt yourself," He said with a nod. "This gun is your greatest weapon to date. You should be proud of yourself- I know that I am proud of you, Miss Damri."

A smile grew on my lips and I wrapped my arms around his hard body. "Thank you, Sevvy. I don't know what I'd do without you."

"You would likely see a lot more failure," He teased me, before pulling away. "You are very different to your mother."

Taken aback by his sudden comment, I let out a laugh. "You're usually saying the opposite."

"It's true that you're alike in many ways," He began, bringing his hand up to his chin. "But over the years, I've come to notice that at your spirit, at your core, you are not the same as she was."

"In what way?" I asked, slightly disheartened by his revelation. All my life, I had seen my mother as the epitome of knowledge and skill and power, and all I had ever wanted to get as close to that as possible.

Sev took some moments to think over his words, a few whirs sounding out. "Zaree may have been strong, and determined," He said, moving closer to me. "But ultimately, she gave up."