I sat the arm of my couch confused, what doesn't he want?

"What are you talking about?"

"I don't wanna be friends with you anymore"

That kind of hurt, I thought we had become close over the last two months.

"Okay" I didn't know what else to say.

"Damn it Hazel, I wanna be with you.. I don't wanna be just friends anymore"

"Dre, I need-"

He hung his head low and nodded. "Time, I know..."

"I just need to know.."

"I understand, no hard feelings. Find yourself first, love second. I'll wait as long as I can, but just a fair warning I won't wait forever.."

"Shia, she's nice Dre"

"Yeah but she's not you"

"But she can give you what you deserve, I can't"

He stood by the door and sighed, I can't give him what he wants from me. Not right now anyway..

"You can, you just don't know how. I can't make you see that there's  better out there. You have to see it for yourself, I hope he's serious this time. Just don't let a good thing slip away while you're trying not to hurt feelings. We're men we can handle the truth, chose wisely. Take care"

"You're just like everyone else.."

"You can't expect me to put everything on hold to wait for you. You're unsure but in reality you still love him. I get it, I'm not walking out of your life I'm just giving you the chance to... love him"

Apart of me wanted to slap him, the other part of me wanted to hug him and never let go. I've grown to really like Andre, he's someone I can truly trust. He's probably the only person that hasn't judged me for being me.

"You never told me how you felt.. how would I have known? You don't know if I still love him, you don't even know what I'm feeling. If you wanna leave, then there's the door.. go be happy with Shia"

"She was my employee, I tried but I can't. I don't love her"

"Then who do you love?"

"Possibly you"

I don't know what to say, he has never expressed any of this to me before. I always thought he seen me as a friend nothing more. Yeah sometimes he'd do little stuff to make me smile. But I figured he was being a friend and now this...

"Dre-"

Before I could tell him how I felt he silenced me, I'm kind of glad he did, I need to think this over..
:
I received another call from King this week which is unusual, he told me he had to make it quick because he didn't have much time. He seemed like he needed to say something important, or get something off his chest. But the first thing that came out of his mouth wasn't what I expected..

"Nobody is born cold hearted, we let certain circumstances reshape our love into hate. It's never too late rediscover yourself..."

I took the phone away from my ear to make sure King was still the one talking. I swear each time we talk he gives me reasons to believe that this time he's changing. He shared a quote from the book his mom bought for him. I guess reading has been a huge motivation for him to get right, I'm not complaining. I love this change, and I love what he is determined to be, but where is this coming from?

"Jail time hasn't changed me.."

"What-" we had this conversation before but I don't understand what he's saying right now.