Chapter Forty-Two: Break

Aegon

The prince listens to the fireplace crackle as he stares at the ceiling. He can't sleep, and it's starting to annoy him. Realizing there's no point in forcing himself to sleep, he gets up and roams the halls aimlessly. A few of the staff members glance at him and hurry along, avoiding him, the future king.
How. Dare. They.

This only sours his mood further. He ends up going outside to the gardens, hoping the fresh air will calm him. The three dragons are already asleep on the grass, the stars shining brightly.
Just the sight of his three dragons—his children—makes him feel better.
They have been his closest company besides Egg in those five, grueling years alone.

Since Aegon has more of a spiritual connection with Cobalt, she stirs awake when he pets her.
He smiles, preferring his children over the Red Keep's staff. She chirps happily, tail swishing on the grass.
"I just wanted to check on you three," he whispers, then turns away.
He doesn't make it very far. With a chirp of protest, Cobalt nibbles on his red cloak, wanting him to stay.

"Okay, okay," he laughs, walking back and sitting down next to her. Cobalt makes a satisfied noise and curls up around him, like for protection. Leaning against her neck, he ends up falling asleep.
****
He wakes up to a scaly snout nudging him, making soft squeaks and chirps. Opening his eyes and yawning, he sees the blue and white beast look down at him with bright eyes.
"Morning, Cobalt," he smiles and sits up.

He notices Solar and Orchid are already gone, probably hunting for food.
Cobalt squeaks softly, lowering herself, like she wants Aegon to climb on her back.
"Want to go hunting, huh?" The prince smiles and climbs on. She shakes herself and takes to the sky, Aegon enjoying the freedom of the air and clouds.

The winter air is crisp and cold, stinging his skin, but he doesn't complain. Cobalt flies south, back towards Storm's End. Aegon scans the grassy fields for easy prey, finding a small farm. He yells in surprise when Cobalt suddenly dives and without warning, breathes blue fire and grabs a burning goat.

The blue she-dragon roars happily. Over the sound of the animals burning, Aegon hears a girl scream as she is being burned alive. Face pale, Aegon looks back to see she was in the field. He had not even seen her.
Aegon forces himself to look ahead, wanting to puke.
He has to learn to control his children better.
****
While Cobalt is eating her charred goat, Aegon shakily enters the Red Keep and promptly vomits on the shiny floor of the throne room.
"Aegon?" He hears footsteps rush over, then Satin grabs his hand. "Are you okay?"

"No—I—Cobalt..." He stammers. "We went hunting...and she burned a girl alive."
Satin's face goes pale. "We need to tell your father."
"No!" Aegon's voice echoes in the large room. He's lucky no staff are in here as well.
"No, I can't tell him. Then all three of my children will be punished."
"Children?" Satin echoes.
"It's a long story," he sighs, shaking. "Let me handle this alone. I know what to do."
Satin looks reluctant, but nods.

The Dragon Pit used to be this large dome near the Red Keep, used to keep the Targaryen dragons as a place of shelter, but most of the structure is destroyed.
This is the only place Aegon can think to put them, however.
'Chaining your dragons up is not a good idea,' Egg chimes in.
"I know. But what else can I do?"
'What is done, is done. Don't you realize how many people I killed when burning down Harrenhall? Like you burning Sunspear, I caused a great house to go extinct.'

"That's not the same as burning an innocent child," Aegon tries to reason weakly.
'Isn't it?' Egg almost challenges, annoyance in his tone. 'House Targaryen does what needs to be done. Our words are Fire and Blood, if it is fear that drives people to obey, then let it be fear.'
Aegon's mind flashes back to the vision of the future.

Shaking the visions off, he enters the Dragon Pit. Despite it being in ruins, there are still chains intact along the floor and wrapped around crumbled pillars.
Using meat as bait, he draws Orchid and Solar into the pit. Both dragons eat the charred meat, both of them calm.

Although Cobalt is nowhere to be found.
Letting his tears fall, Aegon drags the heavy metal collars and clamps them on the dragon's necks while they eat. As he walks away, he hears them stop eating and call out to him in confusion.
Then he hears the chains go taut, followed by them crying out.

Orchid screeches, flaring her wings.
"Daaa!" Solar yells out as well, the call sounding almost like "dad!" They keep screaming at him as he exits the pit and crumples to the ground, sobbing into the grass.

He can feel their sadness and confusion.
'You can always release them, you know,' Egg informs quietly. "I don't know what I'm doing," he weeps, knowing he saw this in a future vision, but never saw the aftermath. Changing his mind, he rushes back in, apologizing over and over as he unchains them.
They both seem to understand, purring, chirping, and nuzzling him.
****
Late into the night, the prince and Satin stand out on one of the balconies of the Red Keep, looking at the stars. "Cobalt is still missing?" Flowers asks.
Satin had kept his word, not telling Rhaegar about the burning of the girl.

"She is," Aegon says softly, sadly. Satin holds him close and the prince sniffs, happy that he has someone to talk to. "Thank you for being here," he murmurs.
"Of course," Satin whispers and kisses him.
They break the kiss then they hear something heavy land on the roof above them.

Looking up, they see Cobalt fold her wings and slowly let herself down. Aegon laughs softly, shushing Cobalt when her frills flare up. "It's okay."
Satin freezes up, easily intimidated.
Cobalt sniffs Satin, then Aegon. Making a chirping noise, she launches herself off the roof and flies off, both prince and squire watching.
After a few moments, Aegon turns to Satin, that same look of madness in his eyes, but he is smiling.

"She's okay. But we still shouldn't tell my father," he orders with a peck to Satin's lips. Satin nods, knowing he can't disobey. "What is happening to you? You're changing."
Aegon only smiles more. "Whatever do you mean? I've never felt more alive," he croons, then walks back to his room to rest for the night.