Chapter Eight: Safe And Sound

Aegon

The young prince wakes up in the large bed in his room, still wrapped in Rhaegar's cloak. He's surprised and overjoyed to find King Rhaegar asleep next to him. Rhaegar must have been tired, because he fell asleep with his travel clothing on. Smiling, Aegon cuddles up against him, the sound of his father's heartbeat soothing.

Rhaegar stirs awake at this. "Mmm....my rowdy wolf pup..." he whispers, still half-asleep, wrapping his arms around the boy. Since it's early, they both end up falling back to sleep.
Prince Aegon wakes to Rhaegar combing his fingers in his hair gently. The prince snuggles closer to his father, enjoying his warmth. He groans softly, opening his eyes. The king smiles, already awake.

"Good morning, my little Aegon," he whispers, purple eyes full of tiredness, but also love. "Father," he smiles back, tears in his eyes out of relief. "Oh, don't cry. I said I would be here, didn't I?" The Targaryen king teases, kissing Aegon's cheek. "You smell sweet, like you rolled in the gardens of the Red Keep."
"I took a bath last night. Found a jar of flower petals and scattered them in the water."

"That sounds lovely," Rhaegar admits, rubbing the back of his neck with a grimace. "That journey here was dreadful. If I have to eat salted jerky one more time, I'll fling myself from the cliffs of this island."
Aegon giggles, which catches the king by surprise. He hasn't heard his son laugh in such a carefree way since he was five. He recalls one time when Aegon was learning how to walk, stumbling around on short legs.

Sometimes he would fall on a rug and cry, then Rhaegar would pick him up. He would laugh in the same way he is now, with genuine amusement.
"Oh, you find my suffering amusing, do you?" Rhaegar muses. "You dare laugh in the face of your king?" He teases, glad to not start out his day in another boring meeting.

"If so, then you shall be punished," Rhaegar says.
"No, father! Wait! Gah!" Aegon laughs, getting smothered with affection through soft kisses to his face. "Do you yield?" Rhaegar smirks.
Aegon looks flustered, his black hair a mess. "Never," he teases back, enjoying this little game.
"Never?" Rhaegar pretends to look shocked, eyes wide. "Hah. You have more recklessness than the others that have fallen before you. Then face the wrath of the dragon!"

Yelling and laughing, Aegon tries to get away, only to end up on Rhaegar's lap, the sheets and blankets tangled. He ends up being tickled on his sides, the prince curled into a ball to shield himself. Out of breath, Rhaegar stops, panting.
"Curse me for being ticklish," Aegon gasps, his grin never fading. Rhaegar laughs, then messes the boy's hair up. "Okay, I think that is enough excitement for the morning."

Aegon nods and catches his breath, Rhaegar feeling his heart racing as he sets his son down. "I should invoke the wrath of the dragon more often," he smiles. The king smiles back, getting up. "Only if you dare, Aegon," his father teases again with another kiss to the forehead.