Chapter Thirty-Seven: Dawn Of A New Day

Satin

Snow still covers the grass as Satin and Prince Aegon walk outside to get some fresh air. Satin's steps falter when he sees the dragons all sleeping in the field.
"It's okay, they won't hurt you. Not as long as I'm here," Aegon reassured him gently. Satin nods, holding Aegon's hand as they walk closer.

The whitish-grey/blue female dragon stirs awake and opens her eyes; shining like sapphires in the dim morning light. Her teeth, like her claws, are black like obsidian, but the spikes on her neck and face are light blue. "What is her name?" Flowers asks as she lifts her head up and yawns.
"Cobalt. Her appearance is very similar to the ancient Targaryen dragon Tessarion, who was ridden by Prince Daeron Targaryen. Some people believe she is a reincarnation of Tessarion, but I gave her a new name for her new life," Aegon explains.

"That makes sense," Satin whispers, stiffening when Cobalt lowers her head to look at them both.
They feel more snowflakes starting to drift down, the clouds getting darker.
Aegon looks at Satin, platinum hair blowing slightly in the chill wind. "Don't be afraid," he says softly, cupping Satin's cheek and kissing him.
He kisses back, closing his eyes.

He feels Aegon hold him close, like the Prince doesn't want to lose him. Hearing a grunt, Satin opens his eyes, still kissing Aegon; to see Cobalt looking down at them both, exhaling from her nostrils sharply.
****
With the snowstorm increasing, both men head back inside, dusting snow out of their hair.
"I smell something good," Satin smiles.
"Arthur must be making breakfast," Aegon smiles back.
The sweet smell only gets stronger as they get closer to the kitchen.

Rhaegar and Arthur are already eating at the table, the king looking to be at ease. "Thank you again for the food, Arthur," the king murmurs, smiling.
Satin recognizes that look in Rhaegar's eyes; infatuation, but says nothing about it to Aegon.
"Anytime, Rhaegar. Oh, the boys are back," Dayne smiles at them.

The king looks over and smiles. "Well? Come have breakfast, both of you. Don't just stand there like frightened rats," he jokes, surprising Satin. He's so used to King Rhaegar being serious, he never knew he had this side to him.

After breakfast, all four of them relax in the main room with the grand fireplace, warming up.
"How long do we plan on staying here, My Lord?" Flowers asks.
"A few days, perhaps. I just needed to take a small break. All of us did," he says and stretches in his seat.
Arthur nods, sipping his tea.

"I see. I'm surprised to see the dragons are not bothered by the snow," Satin says.
Aegon smiles. "They are tough animals. They can handle some snow."
"A lot better than I can," Satin murmurs, making Aegon laugh.

"Glad to see the both of you getting together so well," Rhaegar grins. Satin feels his cheeks burn. Does the king know? "I jest," Rhaegar jokes lightly, with a mischievous glint in his indigo eyes.
Then the king sighs, shoulders sagging like he just unloaded the weight of the world. He looks tired.

Concerned, Aegon asks, "Everything okay, father?"
He nods, smiling and leaning back in his seat.
"I'm fine, I just didn't sleep much last night."
"Drinking tea before bed may help," Arthur offers, grabbing his hand.
"I'll take your word for it," Rhaegar smiles.
****
After a long day of relaxing, Satin ends up laying in bed, looking up at the ceiling.
Aegon lays next to him, both men comfortable enough to be close to one another.
"We'll be going back to King's Landing soon," Aegon whispers, tired.
"Mhm," Satin nods.

He feels Aegon kiss his cheek.
"I don't know what it was like growing up in Oldtown, but..you don't have to be afraid anymore," Aegon murmurs, holding Satin close. "I'll make sure nothing bad happens to the ones I love. I nearly lost my father, I wouldn't dare lose you."
"What do you mean?" Satin whispers, caught off guard by Aegon's sudden shift in behavior.

What would happen if Aegon loses the people he cares about?
"Oh," A slow smile spreads in Aegon's face, something off about how the firelight reflects in his purple eyes, like he is part dragon. Like he looks intoxicated, even though he hasn't had any wine today.
"Don't worry about it," he says with a peck to Satin's lips. "It's nothing, my sweet flower."