XLVIII

I DO NOT own the hobbit, the characters or their stories. I only own my OC character Nikoleva and her story.

 I only own my OC character Nikoleva and her story

~

"This was pointless" Nikoleva pointed to the wall that they had finished building overnight. Kili was able to persuade her to help them to 'avoid his uncle's wrath' but they knew she was not going down without a fight. Neither of them would. 

"What do ye mean, lass?" Bofur questioned. 

She rolled her eyes at him and began to spin one of her daggers. "We are on the brink of war and your king wants us hold up in this mountain. Do you really think this will keep you safe from Azog's armies?" The brunette looked at them all with a raised eyebrow when Thorin came striding past them as he headed towards the stone steps. 

"Come on!" 

The dwarves who had tools in their hands  lay them down and pick up their weapons. All together they follow him up the stairs they've created in the blockage, all the way to a platform they have built at the top of the gate from which they have a vantage point over the plain in front of the gate.

"Thranduil, the elvish bastard" Nikoleva muttered as she glared in the direction where you could see him on his Elk. 

Looking closer, the dwarves can see the walls of Dale filled with Elves ready for war. Bard rides up the path to the gate on a horse, and stops in front of the gate causing Nikoleva to put a hand on her bow. 

Kili who was next to her and Fili who was next to him, looked at her with confusion. 

"Easy target" She muttered as Bard began to speak. 

"Hail Thorin, son of Thrain! We are glad to find you alive beyond hope" Bard announced to him as Thorin all, but glared at him. He had a sick look in his eyes, the one of dragon sickness.

"Why do you come to the gates of the King under the Mountain armed for war?" Thorin asked looking toward the city of Dale, not making eye contact with him.  

"Why does the king under the mountain fence himself in? Like a robber in his hole" The lakeman challenged causing Nikoleva to make a look of agreement. 

"Perhaps it is because I am expecting to be robbed!" He hissed, his attention now turning to him, causing Bard to shift on his horse uneasily.

"My lord - We have not come to rob you, but to seek fair settlement. Will you not speak with me?" Thorin nods, and steps away from the platform and down the stairs. Bard dismounts his horse and crosses the bridge in front of the gate.

As he approaches the blockade, a raven flies out of the opening above the gate and wings away rapidly, cawing loudly. Bard sees a hole built into the blockade, and Thorin strides up to the other end of it.

"I am listening" 

"On behalf of the people of Laketown, I ask that you honour your pledge. A share of the treasure so that they might rebuild their lives." Bard replied.

"I will not treat with any man while an armed host lies before my door" 

"That armed host will attack this mountain if we do not come to terms," Bard told him in an almost pleading tone. 

"Your threats do not sway me," Thorin answered in a slight mocking voice.

"What of your conscience? Does it not tell you our cause is just?! My people offered you help. And in return you brought upon them only ruin and death!"

"When did the men of Laketown come to our aid, but for the promise of rich reward?!" Thorin snapped, and as he did, the company made their way back down the stone steps and stood in front of him. They watched his behaviour. 

"A bargain was struck!" The bowman hissed, anger seeping from his tongue. 

"A bargain? What choice did we have but to barter our birthright for blankets and food? To ransom our future in exchange for our freedom? You call that a fair trade? Tell me, Bard the Dragonslayer... Why should I honour such terms?" Thorin asked. 

"Because you gave us your word. Does that mean nothing?" Bard asked and it stayed silent 

Thorin turns away from the hole, disappearing from Bard's view. He leans back against the blockade and for a moment looks tired and weary. He then looks at the other dwarves and Bilbo, who are all standing there along with Nikoleva who raised any eyebrow at him - also awaiting his reply. 

"Be gone! Ere our arrows fly!" 

Bard slaps the rock angrily, then mounts his horse and rides back to Dale. The company watches him go from the top of the platform

"What are you doing?" Bilbo demands, looking at Thorin with a bewildered expression. "You cannot go to war!" 

"This does not concern you" The dwarven king spoke coldly towards him, still facing Dale. 

"Excuse me?! But just in case you haven't noticed, there is an army of elves out there. And not to mention several hundred angry fishermen. We-We are in fact outnumbered" As the hobbit spoke Nikoleva let out a small chuckle, knowing exactly what Thorin had just done moments ago when he sent the Raven away. 

"Not for much longer" He looked at Bilbo with a smile. 

"It means, Master Baggins, you should never underestimate dwarves." He turns to everyone. "We have reclaimed Erebor... Now we defend it!" He strides back down the steps, Bilbo and Balin looks distressed along with the other company members. Nikoleva who had a smirk on her lips only nodded her head slightly and jumped over the edge - not uses the steps. 

"You heard your king, prepare for war!" She hissed and walked down an adjourning hallway, opposite to the one that Thorin had gone down. 

The dwarves watched as she sauntered down the hallway, all sharing looks. Fili nudged his brother who he saw edging towards the steps, signalling for him to go. 

Kili gave him a grateful look as he ran after her, making some of the dwarves more confused and some having smirks on their faces. 

"Young love" Balin smiled, causing Fili to snort. 

"Don't let the elf catch you saying that" 

"Or Thorin" Dwalin muttered.